Hi everyone! In this blog post, I’m going to share my experience with the Devacurl One Condition Decadence conditioner.
In my initial exploration of the Natural hair world 8-9 years ago, it was easy to see Devacurl was popular among the community.
Youtubers and bloggers showed how and why they loved it for their curls, especially since the company then was co founded by Lorraine Massey, also the founder of the CG Method.
While she is no longer with the brand and has released her own line, the brand has stuck around to become one of the cult favourites in the community.
Only 2-3 years earlier, I used to scroll past Devacurl on Amazon because it was well beyond my budget and well, I didn’t have any proof it was the real thing.
Which is why I’m so happy that websites like Naturally You N Me are sourcing these brands for us to try and experiment, customs included!
I’ve been testing the product for a few weeks now – find the details below!
Table of Contents
Devacurl One Condition Decadence Review
Ask a curly girl about her hair and she’ll tell you about her life. She’ll tell you about her childhood, her family, her friends, and the way she sees herself in the mirror. We’ve spent two decades at the center of this conversation. It’s curly, it’s complicated, it’s fun, and we get it.
That’s why our products are all inspired by conversations with real people. And our stylists won’t just give you amazing curls, they’ll teach you how to create them on your own. We help women believe in the very simple idea of loving their curls in their own way. It’s not dogma, it’s Deva®.
Curly hair is bold, natural, beautiful, and it’s our mission to celebrate your unique curls.
It drives everything we do.
Ultra Moisturizing Milk Conditioner for super curly hair.
IS IT FOR ME?- If you have curly or super curly hair that craves a lot of extra moisture, then this is just what you need for soft, frizz-free curls!
WHAT DOES IT DO?- More of what you love! One Condition Decadence delivers more moisture, strength, nourishment, and protection for your beautiful curls. The rich and creamy formula, made with chufa milk and quinoa protein, takes hydration to the next level by drenching your hair in deep moisture. You’re left with silky-soft curls that are easy to detangle and style.
- Quantity: 355 ml
- Texture: Very creamy
- Slip: Good
- Price: Rs. 2754
- Shelf Life: 12 months
- Fragrance – It reminds me of body lotion
- Cg Friendly – Yes
- Protein – Yes but in small quantity
Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Cetyl Esters, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cyperus Esculentus Tuber (Chufa) Extract, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum)
Notes on First 5 Ingredients
The first 5 ingredients are always the most important because it means they’re in the largest amount in the product (97%-99% of the entire product)
- Cetearyl alcohol is a fatty alcohol that conditions curls
- Behentrimonium Chloride makes the conditioner ‘slippery’, that is easier to spread on your hair strands and making them glide. This reduces knots and tangles!
- Glycerin is a humectant, i.e, it draws water into itself, nourishing and hydrating the hair. Take care though that it might actually cause more frizz in very hot (when there is no moisture in the air at all) or very humid (too much moisture in the hair) weather conditions.
- Glycol Distearate is an emulsifier, gives the smooth and creamy feeling we love and also helps the product get a pearly white colour and decrease transparency. Now, this is where it gets tricky. This ingredient is not banned in the CG Friendly method. But I found here that this is not water-soluble!
Notes on Remaining Ingredients
- Cetyl Esters is a mixture of saturated fatty acids and fatty alcohols and conditions the hair
- Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride is a conditioning and detangling ingredient. It can however, in humid environments, ‘gum up’ if used in products that are left inside the hair (like a leave in conditioner)
- Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil is olive oil, a highly moisturising, rich oil. It’s good this is not in the first 5 ingredients or it could have weighed down hair.
- Cyperus Esculentus Tuber (Chufa) Extract, or Chufa milk consists of amino acids, minerals, sugars, and vitamins B, C and E, which come together and provide antioxidants and moisturizing properties to not only skin but also hair.
- Hydrolyzed Quinoa is a protein! It gives definition and build and also reduces damage by colouring and heat.
- Lots of plant based extracts that give nourishment to your curls
- Propylene Glycol is a water-soluble, non toxic humectant that does not build up on the hair! (Caution for people in super humid environments)
- Cetrimonium Chloride is a conditioning agent that also cleans buildup on your hair. It removes odour and stops the growth of microorganisms
- Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate & Sodium Hydroxide are presevatives
- Xanthan Gum makes a product thick and creamy
I found it easy to detangle really dry, tangled hair with this conditioner. It spreads easily across sections of my hair and softens the frizz. Definitely nourished and hydrated my curls though I find that after applying the conditioner, if I put a small amount of water on top, the detangling gets much easier! This conditioner def works better with hair drenched in water rather than damp.
(I’ve used this trick with many different conditioners- if you have a shower, after applying the conditioner, put your head under the shower and then use your fingers to detangle! The flow of the water does half the job of detangling! )
I have tried using it as a leave in conditioner but felt my curls were weighed down and since in Delhi at the time of the review, it is mind-fckingly humid, it gave me more frizz.
The price could stop you from trying it, I understand but the bottle is huge. I also don’t need a lot to detangle my curls. I think this will last me a good 3-4 months easily!
However, if you are very dry, thirsty, damaged hair, this conditioner is rich enough to help them bounce back. It can also be used as a Deep Conditioner, just add a spoon of honey to it and keep your hair under a shower cap for 30-40 mins!
I did not find any ‘build-up’ of such on my hair, something I was worried about looking at the Guar Gum ingredient. I do make it a point to clarify my curls once in 2-3 weeks though!
How to Use
View this post on Instagram
🔸 Watch how easy it is to detangle with the @devacurl conditioner and how the @curlkeeper flexi brush smoothens my curls into clumps! 🔸 I also tried a different way of styling today- no combs, only hands- also called ‘Raking In’ . It’s an alternative to styling combs and brushes. 🔸 I used the @tginatural leave in conditioner, @cremeofnature mousse and @arata.in flaxseed hair gel 😍 . Somethings to remember – ✅ Remember to have your hair SOAKING WET when you try to detangle after applying conditioner – I often put my head under the shower after applying the conditioner and right before finger detangling- the force of the water makes it easier. I couldn’t show that in this video though because my bathroom is tiny and the lighting is terrible 🤣 ✅ I’ve been sceptical of Devacurl but this is a good conditioner – not too heavy, mild scent and good detangling slip. You can read my full review on THECURIOUSJALEBI.COM ✅ You can skip the gel and just use a mousse in case you want softer definition, great for soft waves or fine curls ✅ A big mistake I see newbies making is the amount of conditioner and leave in conditioner they use – if you’re in doubt, use a TON of it!! Your curls need them, especially in the beginning. ❌ Just raking in gave me great results on day one but not as much definition as I’d get with a styling comb! Using the latter also gives me less frizz on day 2,3! . 📣 Want to try the conditioner and more genuine devacurl products in India? Head on over to @naturallyyounme and use my code CURIOUSJALEBI for a discount! 😁
- After rinsing out your shampoo, divide your hair into 2-3 sections.
- With your palms, smooth on a generous amount to each section (basic newbie mistake is to use a smaaaall amount and complain its not working!)
- Use your fingers to gently detangle from the bottom going up
- Smooth it on your crown as well to avoid frizz in that area
- Take a wide tooth comb and detangle once more from the bottom going up. Be gentle and patient – hair is weakest when it’s wet!
- You can follow up with a narrow comb like me or if the tangles have gone, skip to the next step.
- If you have wavy or loose curls and like to preserve your clumps, or want to use it as a leave in conditioner, rinse out, but not fully. Leave some conditioner in with this technique called Squish to Condish. I prefer to rinse out.
- Apply your leave in conditioner or styling products after as usual.
- Very hydrating for dry, frizzy, thirsty hair
- Easy to apply and glide, reducing tension while detangling, thereby reducing breakage
- Very light, body lotion kinda scent. Anyone who is very sensitive to smells can use this!
- Cg Friendly
- Chufa milk, or Tiger Nut Milk is filled with Amino acids and vitamins to help strengthen your hair
- Big bottle so will last you a long while
- Its moisturising enough to be used a deep conditioner as well, giving you two products in one!
- The mild protein gives the conditioner good moisture-protein balance, giving you added definition
- Has many humectants – Glycerine, Propylene Glycol & Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride might increase frizz in very humid or dry environments. Best to use this product only as a conditioner and not as a leave in conditioner if you live in tropical places.
- Can be too heavy for very fine, thin hair
- It is expensive – Devacurl products have always been on the higher end of the budget spectrum
- People who have heat damaged, coloured their curls or find them to be extremely dry and rough
- Those who want a product to last a long time and be multipurpose
- Anyone looking for cg friendly, rich conditioners
View this post on Instagram
📣 Hey hey! This is important. Especially for you newbies! . All these videos are of the same results taken within minutes of each other but each has different lighting conditions. . No 1 is with my left as the light source, no 2 is against the light, no 3 is in my terrace with light all around me and the last one with light coming from in front of me! . My page is filled with videos that look like no.4 because I love how the definition, moisture and shine pops out! Curated for Insta right? But that doesn’t mean it looks like that all the time! In the second one it looks more frizzy right? That’s cause it’s fckin humid 🤣 and there will ALWAYS be a little frizz even when you put the right products! It’s just a fact of our hair type . 🤠 Last Video was shot in my balcony with the light falling on me- in case anyone else is wondering why there curly selfies aren’t coming as 🔥😛
Earlier, you’d need to pay a BOMB to get Devacurl products in India and then also pay customs! Thankfully, we have Saumya from Naturally You N Me who’s now sourcing international curly hair products for us product junkies!
Buy Devaucurl One Condition Decadence in India (Use my code CURIOUSJALEBI for a discount!)
I hope this review answered any questions you might have about the conditioner! If not, leave them below and I’ll address them as soon as I can.
If you’re looking for more product options across budgets, check out this post – Curly Hair Products in India
You can also browse my Amazon shop here.
If you’re a beginner and find yourself confused, make it a point to read this post, with a cuppa tea or coffee!