Let’s face it. Curly Hair products can be quite pricey.
If you’re just starting the CG Method for the first time, you’re so confused already.
And then if you’re still in school, college or just have a small budget, you can’t really afford to spend a lot.
‘Please tell me budget friendly product names only, I can’t afford more than Rs.500 or Rs. 1000 per month’ is a common request from my readers.
I’m here to tell you that you can absolutely have beautiful hair without breaking the bank.
I’ve listed routines and products that are light on the pocket…
AND I personally know they work rather well on most dry, frizzy hair, be it wavy or curly!
Try the techniques and tips mentioned with such products FIRST before you move on to more expensive ones.
This way, you won’t blame a potentially good product just because you didn’t know how to use it well.
If you don’t know what I’m talking about, please read this first- Curly Hair Tips for Beginners
Beginner Friendly Curly Hair Products
When you’re starting, just buy at least a good conditioner (most important) and a shampoo. Choose the closest to your budget from the list below.
You can add more expensive products later! Remember, shampoo is NOT the most important thing for curly hair, it’s a conditioner.
A conditioner can be made to use as a leave in conditioner by mixing it with some water. It can be made into a deep conditioner with a few drops of oil and honey which makes it a great multi-tasking product!
- Mamaearth Happy Heads Natural Protein Hair Shampoo– CG Approved with Caution (Rs.349)
I write caution because it has an ingredient, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, that is NOT as drying as sulphates but it will still cleanse your scalp strongly than other CG Friendly shampoos. I think anyone who has an itchy or oily scalp will actually enjoy a stronger shampoo. If you have a very dry scalp you can choose something else.
- Mamaearth Onion Hair Fall Shampoo for Hair Growth & Hair Fall Control– CG Approved with Caution (Rs. 349)
Here the Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate is further down in the ingredient list making this more gentle on the scalp.
- WOW Apple Cider Vinegar No Sulphate & Parabens Shampoo – CG Friendly (Rs.399)
ACV is great for reducing dandruff and restore the ph of the curls back to normal.
- The Moms Co. Natural Protein Shampoo– CG Friendly (Rs.429) | Protein
- RE’ EQUIL Hair Fall Control Shampoo – CG Friendly (Rs. 450)
- RE’ EQUIL Dandruff Control Shampoo – CG Friendly (Rs. 450)
- Best Life Argan Nourish Shampoo – CG Friendly (Rs. 549)
- Curl Up Curl Moisturising Shampoo – CG Friendly (Rs. 575)
Read more in my review
- Vilvah Goatmilk Shampoo – CG Friendly (Rs. 590)
Read my Review
- Plum Goodness Olive & Macadamia Healthy Hydration Shampoo – CG Friendly (Rs.675)
A nice gentle shampoo. Does the job and I like the quantity.
- Fix My Curls Squeaky Cleansing Shampoo For Curly and Wavy Hair– CG Friendly (Rs. 895)
Another favourite of mine. It cleanses scalp really well. Great for oily scalp.
- MATRIX Biolage Aloe Hydrating Conditioner – Not CG Friendly | Protein Free (Rs. 157)
Has IPA (Isopropyl alcohol but less than 1% of the whole product so you use it in a CG Routine)
- Enliven Natural Fruit Extracts Coconut and Vanilla Conditioner – CG Friendly (Rs.305)
- Enliven Fruit Conditioner, Raspberry & Red Apple – CG Friendly (Rs.305)
These conditioners are light and great for loose waves.
- RE’ EQUIL Babassu Anti Frizz and Smoothening Conditioner – CG Friendly (Rs. 350)
Has good slip.
- RE’ EQUIL Murumuru Damage Repair Conditioner – CG Friendly (Rs. 350)
Has good slip.
- Best Life Argan Nourish Conditioner – CG Friendly (Rs. 449)
- Curl Up Curl Hydrating Conditioner – CG Friendly (Rs. 590)
Read more about it in my review
- Vilvah Cream Conditioner – CG Friendly (Rs. 750)
- Fix My Curls Mellow Hydrating Deep Conditioner For Curly and Wavy Hair – CG Friendly (Rs. 850)
Love this deep conditioner. Great slip.
Learn how to use these below products in this post – Deep Conditioning for Curly Hair
- DIY Deep Conditioners
a. Mix any good conditioner+ 3-4 drops of oil+ 1 tbsp honey
b. Banana puree+ few drops of oil+ 2-4tbsp of yoghurt
c. Coconut milk+ few drops of oil
d. Aloevera gel (pureed once in the mixer)
e. Find more DIY hair masks here
Note- Don’t use ONLY DIY hair mask as a store bought one will be more powerful and easier to remove. You can deep condition with a DIY recipe twice a month and with any of the products listed below if you’re worried about products finishing quickly.
- Lotus Herbals Soyasmooth Protein Creme Deep Conditioner – CG Friendly (Rs. 189)
- Bella Vita Organic Keratin Hair Mask Spa Cream For Frizzy, Dry, Coloured & Damaged Hair – CG Friendly (Rs. 399)
- Aaranyaa Spa At Home Argan Oil Hair Pack – CG Friendly | Protein Free (Rs. 400)
- MATRIX By fbb Hydra Creme Intense Ultra Hydra Source Hydrating Masque – NOT CG Friendly | Protein Free (Rs.445)
Has IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) which isn’t allowed in CG but it is less than 1% of the whole product, should not be drying and can be used in a CG Routine.
Read my review
I love the fact there this is a big tub and has a lot of slip. I recommend this often to beginners.
- Mamaearth Argan Hairfall Control Mask – CG Friendly | Protein (Rs.589)
I quite like this mask too. Read my review
- Plum Olive & Macadamia Mega Moisturizing Hair Mask – CG Friendly (Rs.785)
Leave in Conditioner
- DIY leave in conditioner – Take a spray bottle and add some conditioner (1/4th) to it. Add 3/4th water and mix. Spray and apply on hair as you would a normal conditioner.
- Giovanni Organic Leave in Conditioner Spray – CG Friendly (Rs. 530)
Great for loose curls and wavy hair
- Giovanni Organic Natural Mousse Hair Styling Spray Foam – CG Friendly (Rs. 595)
Great for loose curls and wavy hair
- Fix My Curls Stay Leave In Cream For Curly and Wavy Hair – CG Friendly (Rs. 725)
- Ashba Botanics Right Ringlets Leave-in Conditioner for Curly/Wavy Hair – CG Friendly (Rs. 949) Made by India’s first Curly Hair Blogger Asha Barrack! LOVED this leave in conditioner
- Aveda Be Curly Style-Prep – CG Friendly (Rs. 950)
I usually recommend curl creams or hair creams to anyone with very curly hair. Since its rich, it can weigh down wavier or looser curls.
But I know many wavy hair peeps who use a tinyyy amount of a cream to make their hair clump better. Experiment and see what works! But if you’re starting out and you have a wavier texture, start with a lighter styling product like watery leave in conditioners, mousse and gels.
- Arata Hair Cream – CG Friendly (Rs.599) or Buy Here (Use code CURIOUSARATA & get 25% OFF on orders above Rs.999)
I love this cream and its gel. Great for Type 3 hair and above.
Read my review
- Curl Up Curl Defining Cream – CG friendly (Rs. 690)
Rich, creamy- love! Another Indian brand like Arata.
- Cantu Shea Butter For Natural Hair Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream – CG Friendly (Rs. 974)
My holy grail, the curl cream that showed my what my curls were capable of way back when I just discovered about curly girl techniques.
- DIY Flaxseed Gel
So effective and easy to make! Incredibly cheap too. Watch this video to learn how to make it right.
- Set Wet Hair Gel Cool Hold – CG Friendly (Rs.75)
- Himalaya Men Daily Nourish Styling Gel, Strong Hold – CG Friendly (Rs. 90)
- Set Wet Hair Gel Ultimate Hold – CG Friendly (Rs.180)
- Schwarzkopf Taft All Weather Looks Marathon Power Gel, Long Lasting Hold – CG Friendly (Rs. 350)
- Giovanni Organic LA Natural Styling Gel – CG Friendly (Rs.595)
- Arata Hair Gel – CG Friendly (Rs.599) or Buy Here (Use Code CURIOUSARATA & get 20% OFF on orders above Rs.999)
Read my review
I love this gel! It’s like a store bought flaxseed gel with more hold.
- Fix My Curls Glaze Defining Hair Gel For Curly and Wavy Hair – CG Friendly (Rs. 775)
Another Indian brand whose gel I love.
To SOTC/Pre-poo (Oil)
- Castor Oil, Sesame Oil and Black Seed Oil is great for hair growth. (Castor can be very thick and hard to remove with a cg friendly shampoo. Use it mixed with another oil or don’t apply too much to the scalp. You can also do castor oil massage right before you clarify.
- Tea Tree & Rosemary essential oil is great for dandruff prone scalp. Mix a few drops of this to a carrier oil like coconut, sesame and then apply as such oils are powerful in small amounts.
- Coconut oil is the only oil that penetrates the hair the most. You can be sensitive to coconut however so remember to check that on your hair. If your hair comes out more dry and frizzy after using coconut oil as compared to any other oil, then you’re sensitive!
- Jojoba Oil is the only oil that comes close to matching our body’s oil production. It is wonderful for hair.
- Argan Oil is one of the lightest oils that is great in reducing frizz and protecting your hair from environmental damages.
Accessories for Curly Hair
- Roots Broad Teeth Comb for Wavy/Curly Thick Short Hair – (Rs. 189)
- Shampoo Brush – (Rs. 223)
Great for massaging your scalp, increasing rate of hair growth & brilliant to cleanse your scalp when you’re co-washing! I love to use this because I have a itchy sensitive scalp.
- Satin Bonnet – (Rs. 499)
- Denman Medium Hair Styling Brush– (Rs.900)
Ah! My holy grail! It gives me incredibly defined curly hair. You don’t NEED to get this, you can also use a wide tooth comb+narrow comb. I won’t recommend this brush for wavy hair or loose curls since it can break wave clumps.
Read more in my review.
Please note, this is not the full list of products but just some good+affordable ones you can start out with.
If you want more options, go here- All Curly Hair Products in India
Video Tutorials with Pocket-friendly Indian Products
International Curly Hair Products For Beginners
If you’re staying in the UK or USA, most of the brands mentioned below are found easily at departmental stores, Sally’s, Trader Joe’s, Wallmart and any ethnic hair store. They are also usually affordable.
- Sheamoisture Shampoo, Conditioner, Deep Conditioners
- Trader Joe’s Tingle Tree Shampoo & Conditioner
- Suave Naturals Conditioners
- Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner
- Vo5 Herbal Escapes Conditioners
- Aussie Instant Freeze Gel
- L.A. Looks Sport Look Gel
- As I Am Coconut CoWash & Leave in Conditioner
- Not Your Mother’s (NYM) Conditioners
- Eden Bodyworks
Some of the links above are Amazon affiliate links, which means I get a small commission at no cost to you for purchased orders. Thank you for supporting the blog! 😊
How should you use these products once you buy them, you ask?
If you have wavy hair, follow this routine- Step by Step CG Method for Wavy Hair
Those with more curly hair, follow this routine- Step by Step CG Method for Curly Hair
I hope this list of budget-friendly, CG Friendly curly hair products encourages you to try the tips and techniques I’ve written on this blog and shown on my Youtube Channel.
If you have any doubts, please join my private FB group- Ask Jalebi and ask me, I’d be happy to help!
Follow me @thecuriousjalebi on Instagram if you’re there, I post tips & videos there often!