Guess who’s on a tight budget and still wants healthy, moisturised curls? Yours Truly! That, my dear readers, is how this review of Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Masque came about.
It’s easy to feel discouraged and think only expensive products can you get you shiny, defined curly hair but let me tell you that is not always the case!
Almost 58% of my followers on Instagram voted for a curly hair routine that is UNDER Rs.1000. Many of you, I have come to realise are in school or college with a small pocket-money or have just started to work and can’t afford to splurge. Or perhaps you simply don’t want to spend that much on your hair! That’s okay -we’ve all got priorities.
Also please note- I don’t think expensive products don’t do well. They will usually perform better, if they have good quality ingredients. And they are great to invest in for overall hair health, But when you don’t have the money to spend so much or just don’t want to, I think there should be options for such needs as well.
If your priority is to buy the best your money can buy, you’re going to love this review. What you need my dear reader, is to find products that multi-task. Get you a product that does both 😉
So should you buy the Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Hydrating Masque and add it to your routine? Check out my review below. Don’t forget to watch my video in the post too. You can see EXACTLY how i detangle my curls with it, plus the results!
Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Masque Review
Dry and Dull Hair! Look no further…Matrix Biolage presents Hydrasource moisturizing hair mask that helps optimize moisture balance for healthy looking hair. Dry hair often tends to look dull and lacks manageability, Matrix Hydrasource hydrating mask is enriched with natural ingredients like Aloe Vera that helps give nourishment to lifeless hair. A Paraben-free formula, this deeply hydrating hair mask revives dry hair strands and deeply moisturizes them to give soft and smooth looking silkier hair.
Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Masque Ingredients:
P.s- please check the ingredients before you buy as they can change over time.
Aqua / Water / Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil / Sunflower Seed Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycerin, Quaternium-87, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Parfum / Fragrance, Candelilla Cera / Candelilla Wax / Cire De Candelilla, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Benzoic Acid, Citric Acid, Aloe Barbadensis / Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Coumarin, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Alcohol, Hydroxycitronellal, Amyl Cinnamal, Sodium Hydroxide.
Has a LOT of ingredients na? I’m going to explain the role of the First 5 (Ingredients that form 99% of the product) and another 6 (whose concentration keeps decreasing as we go down the list) ending with the most controversial ingredient.
- Aqua forms the base of most (good) hair products.
- Cetearyl Alcohol- Not all alcohols are drying, and can be drunk, remember that ;). This is a fatty alcohol derived from coconut and palm oils and used to moisturise and condition your hair.
- Sunflower Seed Oil has high levels of Vitamin E (great for scalp health & reducing ageing) & Oleic Acid (moisturises your hair).
- Behentrimonium Chloride makes it easy to detangle.
- Cetyl esters- Now this has a slightly tricky reputation. This is a synthetic wax and is used to create that silky, gliding feeling in lotions and creams. For some curlies, it has been known to cause waxy build-up!
- Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine is a water-soluble ingredient in conditioners that counter acts the effects of a shampoo.
- Glycerin is a humectant that helps draw in moisture to your hair.
- Quaternium-87 is mild, water soluble ingredient & provides body and volume to hair.
- Phenoxyethanol is a preservative that is less irritating (but can still cause irritation in eyes if present in large amounts). It has drawn concerns over it’s ability to cause allergic reactions but at 100% concentrations. There is less than 1% concentration in this product.
- Caprylyl Glycol is a preservative and hair conditioning agent.
- Isopropyl Alcohol – is a ‘BADDIE’. It can cause drying, because the alcohol evaporates. Hence this mask is not CG approved. BUT, it’s amount is less than 1% of the entire product (Only the first 5 ingredients form 99% of a product) so will not cause any drying.
Is Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Masque CG Friendly:
First and foremost it has NO silicones however Isopropyl Alcohol is not CG. BUT since there is less than 1% of the alcohol in the product, it shouldn’t cause drying. Plus most of you are going to rinse this out after using so I don’t think it’s any cause to worry.
Don’t know what is CG Method? Check this post: What is CG? Do I use it?
Silky and creamy and thick however it is easy to apply on my hair.
Very strong fragrance. For this reason I feel like I’ve gotten a hair spa. This may be bothersome for you if you are sensitive to strong scents.
How to Use Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Masque:
You can use this as a conditioner, deep conditioner AND a leave in conditioner. I personally find it best as a conditioner and hair mask. Find steps to using it for both purposes below:
- Shampoo your hair as normal.
- Rinse it out and separate hair into 2 sections.
- Scoop generous amounts and smooth it on each section.
- FInger comb to gently remove knots.
- Use a wide-toothed comb to distribute the product properly. You can follow this with a narrow comb if you get tiny knots.
- I keep it min 3-5 mins (normal conditioner) or 30-45 mins (hair mask) and cover hair with a shower cap/heat cap.
- Rinse it out and style your wavy and curly hairas normal.
- For this day I used Cantu Curl Activator and DIY Flaxseed Gel.
- Don’t rinse it out fully if you want to use it as a leave in conditioner.
- In my opinion, it might not work as a leave in for some curlies as it is quite heavy and as a consequence, hair can feel weighed down.
Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Masque Video Tutorial
Check out these 4 videos in a carousel below to know the exact process.
🌸 How To Apply Matrix Biolage Hydrasource 🌸 SWIPE ➡️. 🔹 Video 1 – On freshly shampooed hair, apply generous amounts of the hair mask. Finger comb each section to detangle gently. 🔹 Video 2 – Use combs to remove tiny knots and spread the product uniformly throughout the hair. Rinse it out! 🎉 Can you see how shiny and hydrated my hair is right after rinsing? Love how slippery this hair masque is! 🔹 Video 3- After rinsing when hair is still wet, apply your leave in/curl cream. I’ve used @cantubeauty curl activator cream (review on my blog) and then used my @denmanbrush to define my curls. Then I applied DIY flaxseed gel and combed again. 🔹Video 4- Took a t shirt to ‘SCRUNCH’ my curls and remove excess product. This also encourages curls to form faster. Diffused and VOILA 😍 🌀 with lots of bounce, moisture and shine! . Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Masque review is LIVE on the blog . It is pocket friendly ❤️ and easily available in 🇮🇳 TAP LINK IN BIO
Is Perfect For:
- Wavies and Curlies on a budget.
- Wanting a routine under Rs.500
- If you are suffering from very dry, frizzy hair.
- You have thick hair that gets rough within day 2,3.
- You aretransitioning from chemically straightened hair to natural hair.
- It’s below Rs.500!!
- It’s a big ass tub – this lasts me 2-3 months EASILY.
- You can get it easily in India, in most departmental stores.
- It is incredibly moisturising.
- It has great slip – I can detangle my hair without breakage. Watch my video to see how it works on my hair.
- Great for young girls in college/school who want to do a CG routine on a budget.
- It can multi-task as conditioner, deep conditioner AND leave in conditioner.
- Makes your hair smell incredible.
- No silicones
- It has Isopropyl Alcohol which is not CG. (If you feel strongly about being on a pure CG routine, skippity skip this!)
- The fragrance can be too strong for some.
- It can make their hair feel too weighed down or make it feel ‘waxy’.
- Some wavies/curlies find it hasn’t done much for their frizz.
Will I Buy This Again? Will I Recommend it?
YES! That’s a resounding yes. It is a pocket-friendly deep conditioner and it has lasted a long time. You can watch my video and results if you want to see how it looked right after I rinse it out, hydrated and shiny.
Incidentally, if you have very loose waves or curls, this could make them feel heavy. I would recommend you wash it out completely in that case & simply use a gel after to style.
Buy Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Masque Online
Hell yeah, this post contains affliate links. I work my butt off on these reviews for you guys & using that link gives me coffee money! Which helps me stay up nights and make more such posts for you 😉. And rest assured, I won’t recommend anything I don’t love.
I hope this helps you! I will probably be reviewing Mamaearth products next so stay tuned for that! See you on my Instagram till then for fun tips, outfit pictures & more <3