Deep Conditioning For Curly Hair – What, When, How

July 25, 2017
Deep Conditioning Curly Hair

If there is one tip stressed often in the natural hair world, it is this – Deep Conditioning curly hair.

WHAT IS IT?

Think of it as a hydration boost with lots of essential nutrients penetrating your hair making them softer & healthier!

Consistently deep conditioning your hair once a week or once every two weeks, will help reduce frizz, roughness and dryness over time and restore your hair’s health.

The ‘Hair Spa’ that is doing the rounds in salons these days is nothing but deep conditioning. Once you figure out what goes into it, you can do it on your own, at home, and at a fraction of the cost!

DO YOU NEED IT?

I cannot stress enough how important this step is for curly hair, especially heat & chemically damaged hair. It’s the first thing I ask any reader to incorporate in their routine. Deep conditioning is also beneficial if you swim often or spend a lot of time outside, exposing your hair to harsh weather conditions.

The best way to see if your hair needs DC is to pay attention to it. If it is drier than normal, gets tangled and breaks easily, dive right into it. If it already feels moisturized, then skip it. Don’t get carried away and over-condition. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

HOW TO DO IT

To deep condition, you can use homemade hair masks like I’ve made & shown in my video below. All you need is things from your kitchen, making it a budget-friendly option too.

If you’re short on time and patience just get a store-bought mask. (Matrix Hydrasource Biolage, Sheamoisture Raw Shea Butter Intensive Treatment, etc)

As always, if you’re following a CG friendly routine, make sure your deep conditioner does not have silicone.

The conditioner works better when applied on wet hair which is then exposed to some heat. Steam opens hair follicles and helps in absorption. A hot towel works well for this. Alternatively, you can look for a cholesterol cap or just blow hot hair of your dryer all over your shower cap.

HOW I DO IT

So here are 3 ways I deep condition my curls:

1. I apply it on wet hair after I have shampooed, conditioned & de-tangled and rinsed my hair

Tangle-free hair makes the deep conditioner easy to apply & comb through. I apply from mid-length, giving special attention to the ends as they are driest & leave it on for anything between 15 minutes to 4 hours depending on how much time I have. I tie it into a loose bun or plait and keep it under a shower cap. I then rinse it out & style as normal with my leave-in conditioner and gel.

2. I use it as a conditioner after shampooing & leave it in for the same time.

Often when I’m busy, I DC at night & leave it on to rinse it the next morning. Other times, I deep condition with this method in the morning, tie it into a loose bun and go about my day. I rinse in the evening & style as normal.
This is a great method if your hair is very tangled as most hair masks are super creamy with more slip than a regular conditioner.

Deep Conditioning Curly Hair

3. I use it as a pre-shampoo mask.

I do this especially when I have to use a medicated shampoo for dandruff which is great for hair otherwise but makes my scalp really clean but uncomfortably dry. So I apply my product on the length of my hair as a protective coating, leaving the scalp. Then once I apply the shampoo and rinse it off, it does not dry out the length of my hair. You can also do this with a normal conditioner.

Still confused? Check out my video tutorial below & don’t forget to subscribe after if you liked it!

Please note that if your hair feels too soft & the curls are losing shape, you might need a protein treatment instead of moisture. More on this in another post!

You can also check out the review of my favourite hair mask here.

I hope I’ve convinced you to try! If you have any doubts or comments or want me to recommend products to you, DM me on Instagram or drop a comment here!

Saloni
    April 22, 2020 at 1:06 pm

Hey
    My curly hair is extremely dry and frizzy. Split ends are coming back in every 2-3 months whatever I do. Hair has become extremely thin due to extreme hairfall. For split ends i always cut short my hair. Now I’m starting cg method. can u suggest something for hair growth pls ? Is mamaearth no more tangles conditiner cg friendly?

May 5, 2020 at 1:41 pm

See a dermatologist for hair fall. Hair growth- good diet filled with proteins, greens. Get your hormone and iron levels checked and get them up to mark if not. That conditioner doesn’t have a lot of slip, their mask is better. Try anything else from this list- https://www.amazon.in/shop/thecuriousjalebi?listId=1HPOAJOM1C5ZV

Chitralekha
    April 11, 2020 at 9:58 pm

Hi Pallavi, loving your blogs and learning with every sentence !! I have a different problem. My hair seems to get Moisture overload very very easily. And all DC treatments seem to be about moisturizing… i used Mamaearth argan mask thrice in a month and use the cantu line (shampoo,cond, leave in & curl activator) i know cantu is Protein rich and mamaearth is moisture, so i also did about 3-4 rice water rinses during this last month; but since a week now i dont see my ringlets and clumps. i am so confused. if i use DC its moisture overloaded; On wash days the curls are rigid and not bouncy at all, with only rice water rinse they are super bouncy but no shine/definition. am i being impatient?? please help:”/

May 5, 2020 at 1:27 pm

Can’t say just by this comment, Drop me your hair pictures on my fb group Ask Jalebi or email me, let’s take it from there.

Dr. Priya Dutta
    March 24, 2020 at 7:30 pm

Hey jalebi! Amazing name btw!
    Please tell How can I style my wavy hair? Budget friendly options please.
    And thanks a ton for this amazing blog♥️♥️

rajeevita
    February 28, 2020 at 1:25 pm

My hair is very frizzy, it is also very brittle and breaks very much and has become very thin.i have used different different oil and shampoo .even i have used medicine like Evion Vitamin E,Vitamin A,Biotec, Oxivit Each and every thing i do for my hairs.I always keep my hair tied. I have also use onion juice . I don’t want very long hair i only want healthy hair good natural curls.
    Please help me.Where am I going wrong .
    Kindly Reply me i am my much frustrated with my hairs.

March 5, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Listen, email me (pallavijuneja92@gmail.com) or DM me on instagram some hair pictures, we’ll take it from there. Or just post in my FB group Ask Jalebi

Dana
      March 15, 2020 at 1:25 am

Hello, I just had a baby 6 months ago and my hair is falling out like crazy! I have bald spots all over my head and my hair is thinning out. Can you please guide me or advise me on next steps to get my hair back to normal. Thanks.

• Pallavi Juneja
        May 5, 2020 at 1:20 pm

Okay so bad news is that, this happens, known as post partum hair loss. Best to ride it out and know it will settle down soon and new hair will soon start growing. I’d recommend you check in with your gynae as well in case she has any tips. Good luck and congratulations on the baby!

Rajashree Acharya
    January 10, 2020 at 9:20 am

Hi Pallavi,

Dorry for hijacking the previous comments’ reply.

I have just started the CG routine. i have tons of doubts. Here are a few questions plaguing me:

1) I colour my hair quite frequently. I use Godrej hair colour (ammonia free one) which suits my hair. I found it quite mild. Can i still follow CG routine if i have coloured hair? Are there any precautions i need to follow?

2) After deep conditioning, can i use the curling cream to style my hair?

3) Since you mentioned a medicated shampoo for dandruff, can you suggest a good shampoo for dandruff?

4) Can i use a spa cap to generate moderate heat if i use the above formula you mentioned for DC (oil+honey+conditioner)?

Please clarify! i just love your hair. hope to improve mine like yours 🙂

January 13, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Hey Rajashree! No worries!

1. Yes absolutely you can. Just make sure you deep condition regularly because colouring does damage hair slightly and will need extra moisture to keep it healthy. It is manageable, lots of curly girls colour their hair.

2. Yes you should. Dc or conditioner both get rinsed out and hair needs some hydrating product left in the hair to reduce frizz over the next few days. Some people can get away with just gel after DC if their hair is very healthy or its wavy but not everyone. Experiment and see.

3. I prefer medicated shampoos like Nizoral! I have an article on dandruff here you can check- https://thecuriousjalebi.com/2019/01/07/tips-to-treat-dandruff-cg-method/

4. Yes you can, any shower cap works, so does wrapping a hot towel over the shower cap. You can also use a plastic bag haha

Thank you! All the best to you on your journey!

Chandra Lekha Singasani
    November 27, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Hi pallavi , i just love reading your blogs . When i deep condition my hair with egg or banana , my hair gets crazily dried up. Any suggestions for me ?

December 15, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Yes! Don’t use egg or banana! next time try this. Take any creamy moisturising conditioner you have at home. Get one from this list in your budget if you don’t-https://www.amazon.in/shop/thecuriousjalebi?listId=1HPOAJOM1C5ZV
      to it add a few drops of oil, any you have. Coconut olive oil work great. Add a spoon of honey. Now when you want to do this, shampoo your hair well, apply this mask to your hair from crown to bottom (skip crown if you have wavy hair) and then finger detangle and then use a wide tooth comb to distribute. keep for 15-30 mins under a shower cap and then rinse. rinse well. Style as usual. Let me know how that works.

• Rajashree Acharya
        January 10, 2020 at 9:12 am

Hey Pallavi,

A small doubt. Can i use the curling cream after DC?

Also i colour my hair quite frequently. I use Godrej since it is the mildest colour which suits me. Can i follow the CG routine still?

Jennifer Owens
    October 5, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Hello
    Thanks for posting this amazing blog. It consists of very useful information. The language you used in this is very simple & easy to understood. Post some more blogs related to “Indian wavy hair”. It would be really helpful for those girls who want to look gorgeous in party or any other function.
    Thanks & Regards.

sindhu
    August 1, 2019 at 4:08 pm

Hi jalebi,

if i use the honey plus curd DC, should i apply it on my roots as well as it is totally natural? will this cause hairfall? i have been told by my mom that honey greys the hair, is it true?

September 12, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Yes you can apply that to the roots. That’s a myth! Honey doesn’t cause greying, as in it’s not been scientifically proven.

Harsha
    May 29, 2019 at 11:33 am

Hey. I had chemically smoothened my hair a year and a half back. The smoothening is gone but my curls are dry, damaged and falling in clumps. I’ve cut them short since there’s no volume left. Can you suggest anything that will help with the hairloss, hair regrowth and damage?

Priya
    November 15, 2018 at 10:38 pm

Your blog has become a life saver for my hair. Can’t thank you enough for getting me a proper hair routine. Your technique works on my hair like a magic. You really pointed out the things i missed out. Thanku sooooo much 🙂

November 19, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Priya! I’m so glad to hear this! <3

Jay
      August 8, 2020 at 1:03 am

Hi Jalebi,

Thank you for your amazing blog,its been an eye opening for me. For a long time i was feeling bad about having curly hair,as most of the time whatever i do it would look like i just woke up and gave me a dull appearance.After reading your blog i have followed deep conditioning twice a week without any styling products,my hair just feels amazing and i can’t stop touching it.can you suggest some budget alternatives which works similar to devculs original shampoo and conditioner available in india ?

Nishka Nachappa
    May 25, 2018 at 5:01 pm

Hi Pallavi! You have gorgeous hair! This is hands down my favorite post of your blog. I do not have any heat aids for my deep conditioning routine. All I do is pull on a plastic shower cap and let the masque work on my hair for an hour, hoping the heat generated by my own body aids for better penetration. I hope this will suffice or is actual external heat a must? I refuse to own or buy a hair dryer and I find the whole hot towel thing too cumbersome.

May 28, 2018 at 11:13 am

Hi again Nishka!
      Nah, it’s chill! Use 2 plastic shower caps if you want extra heat or wrap a hot towel (heat it in the microwave around your hair_) if you want to pamper your hair with steam now and then. Otherwise a normal shower cap will also work

Divya
    March 12, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Is it necessary to condition after a DC. I usually pre poo overnight with oil and detangle my hair and then shampoo in the morning. So after this I do a diy DC. Do I need to condition hair after washing of the DC. Or can I directly do the styling bit.?

March 18, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Hi Divya, no you don’t need to condition after DC as DC is actually deep conditioning only! just rinse and style as usual

Priti
    January 26, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Hey.. should I apply a conditioner after DIY DC or jus wash it off?

February 8, 2018 at 10:00 am

Just wash it off really well and style!

20 Tips to Reduce Frizz in Curly & Wavy Hair – The Curious Jalebi
    August 6, 2017 at 9:19 pm

[…] Huge reason why my frizz that I had, especially at the crown reduced over time. You can read more about deep conditioning curly hair here. […]