Instagram

Curly Hair Tips For Beginners

September 23, 2017
Applying Conditioner To Curly Hair

Imagine someone asking you on the metro or the street randomly with awe-

Is your curly hair natural?

Imagine feeling so confident of yourself, skipping the blow dryer and flat iron & rocking your natural hair at the next party you go to. Watching everyone’s heads turn & ask you what you have done to your hair to make it so go healthy and shiny. Standing apart from all those cookie cutter women with straight, flat hair.

This can be you, and only by following a few simple tricks and hacks. If you’re a beginner, you NEED to read this post. I promise, it will change your world, your hair & how you accept yourself.

This Post is For You If

1. You have always had a love-hate relationship with your natural waves and curls.
  2. You think you have ‘frizzy’ hair, and not wavy and curly hair.
  3. You don’t feel confident in your natural hair & end up using the flat iron to straighten every day or for important functions.
  4. You are ready to start your curly hair journey but don’t know where to start.
  5. You have read many posts and seen video tutorials but are still confused. Information overload!
  6. You don’t know what products to buy first.
  7. You can’t afford to buy expensive products all at once to start your natural hair journey
  8. You think the right shampoo will stop frizz & hair fall.
  9. You don’t have support from your parents yet to buy different products for your hair (if you’re in school)
  10. You are tired of spending on Keratin, smoothening treatments that have made your hair damaged and lose so much hair.

I want you to start with the following steps – which have transformed my hair from dry, frizzy, rough hair to bouncy, defined curls. Remember to read through FIRST before thinking – I can’t do this. You CAN & i’ll help you if you have more questions. Don’t worry!

PS: If you currently have chemically treated hair (keratin, smoothening) I also suggest your read this post:

Transitioning from chemically treated hair to curly hair

Too lazy to read? Check out my video below:

Curly Hair Tips For Beginners

1. Stop combing curly hair when it’s dry

This is a one way ticket to FRIZZ! Wavy and curly hair is naturally dry and grow in groups or clumps. When you separate the strands forcefully in it’s dry state, the clumps get separated & make your crown and hair very frizzy!

2. Use a gentle shampoo, preferably sulphate free

Shampoos have ingredients that are as harsh as detergents & strip natural hair of their moisture. To avoid more dryness, shampoo only your scalp and dilute it with some water in a mug before you apply.

However, I would recommend that you choose a shampoo without sulphatesย to protect your hair from more dryness. Remember that shampoos are NOT the most important product for you. That’s the conditioner’s job.

3. You MUST use a Conditioner & Leave in Conditioner

I can’t STRESS how important this is. These two products will TRANSFORM your wavy and curly hair. A conditioner will help in providing moisture to your dry hair, soften frizz and make it so easy for you to detangle your hair in the shower! A leave in conditioner, that you apply once you’re done showering will keep your hair hydrated and defined until you wash it the next time.

Curly Hair Tips For Beginners

If you have chosen a shampoo without sulphates, you need to make sure your conditioner and leave in conditioner do not have silicones in them. If you spot dimethicone, amodimethicone in the ingredient list, don’t use it on your hair as it will cause build-up. The only way they can be removed is by using a sulphate shampoo. Can you spot the cycle?

Read this to understand more on other ingredients to avoid: CG Friendly Method

Ps- If you are starting a CG Friendly routine, remember to do a last shampoo with Pantene Lively Clean to remove build-up of previous hair products.

4. Comb After Conditioner & Leave in Conditioner

• In the shower, saturate your hair with a LOT of conditioner. Make sure it has a good ‘slip’ (it should make your hair slippery).
  • Use your fingers to comb out the big knots gently and then use a wide-toothed comb. This will ensure the product is distributed throughout the hair uniformly. You will see beautiful curl clumps forming.
  • Once done, rinse the conditioner out.
  • If you don’t have a separate leave in conditioner, you can choose to leave some of the same conditioner in.
  • Have a leave in? Apply it on wet hair once you’re done showering.
  • Make 2-3 sections of your hair and apply the product for better application.
  • Again use your fingers first, then a comb. I personally prefer the Denman brush. Once you’re done combing, take a t shirt and scrunch up your hair in the way I’ve shown below.

5.Use styling products (Curl Cream, Gel) for more definition & bounce

After applying your leave in conditioner, you should ideally follow up with a curl cream and a gel. This will seal your hair strands so that they don’t lose shape too soon. This also reduces frizz on day 2,3 of not washing your hair.

If you have wavy hair, using only a leave in conditioner will also work.

In my product recommendations below, I have included the link to Cantu Curl Activator, my favourite curl cream and a DIY recipe for a gel that works amazingly on wavy & curly hair so don’t miss that!

Watch the video below to see how I style my curly hair.

6.ย Avoid Heat

Imagine frying dry bread. It’s going to get even drier, no? Same thing with curly hair. Avoid heat in all forms, as much as you can. Which means, stop using a blow dryer on heat mode, without a diffuser. Keep aside your straightening iron, curling wand, yes, even for the bangs. I’m not saying never temporarily straighten your hair again – that’s your call. But it’s essential to avoid it in the beginning of your curly hair journey.

7. Deep condition your hair once a week

What’s the difference between a conditioner and deep conditioner, you ask? A deep conditioner, also called ‘Hair Mask’, ‘Deep Treatment’ or even ‘Hair Spa’ is like a conditioner on steroids (figuratively speaking). It’s stronger and more intense. Applying this to your hair once a week will drastically reduce frizz and dryness over time. It will also make your hair shiny. I have a easy video tutorial below on how to deep condition your hair!

And you can choose/switch between store bought deep conditioners or make them at home! I have included a recommended list of products some paras below so definitely check that out.

8. Switch from a towel to a t-shirt

Using a normal towel will make your natural hair frizzy. Instead use a special, microfiber towel or a basic, plain tshirt! Use it to wrap your hair when you leave the shower and when you’re scrunching up after applying your products outside the shower.

9. Protect your curls when you sleep

When you toss your head around while sleeping, you may mess up the definition and cause more frizz. Instead, watch my video below to see how I make my curls last longer by protecting them by ‘pineappling’.

10. Refresh your curls in the morning

I usually wash my hair twice a week only. Between those wash days, to revive my curls I simply spray my hair with a mix of some water and conditioner. Please watch the video below to see how I do it.

Recently, I have switched to a Flairosol bottle to refresh my curls.

Product Recommendations For Beginners

Benefits of Taking Care of Your Natural Hair

Curly Hair Tips For Beginners

• Bye Bye Dry Hair & Frizz
  • Hello healthy, shiny hair
  • Growing your hair faster
  • No more split ends
  • Keeping your hair open without stress
  • Feeling confident in yourself
  • No more wasting hours everyday straightening hair
  • Break the cycle – teach your kids to love their hair instead of passing the hate to another generation
  • No more treatments- Saving money AND time. Win Win!

Don’t let these stop you

But Pallavi, my mom doesn’t want me to use a conditioner, she says it will cause hair fall.

Explain to her that if you use a good quality conditioner, it will actually make your healthier & softer. This will in time reduce hairfall.

I can’t spend so much, my parents won’t let me and I’m still in school.

That’s okay! Buy products that can multitask! Start with any shampoo that I’ve recommended and use either Loreal smooth intense conditioner or matrix biolage hydrasource masque as your conditioner, leave in conditioner AND deep conditioner! For a gel, make DIY Flaxseed gel at home. It’s easy and super cheap.

It sounds like too much effort.

More than spending hours everyday straightening it? Hating it? It may sound long & tedious but it hardly takes more than 25-30 mins to wash and style my hair. You’ll get used to it!

Youย won’t always have great hair days & that’s okay. Your hair is only a part of you. Don’t let that get bigger than yourself.

And frizz? A little bit will ALWAYS be there. I have it too. Make it a friend you’re okay chilling with. ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you have any more questions, DM me on my Instagramย (@thecuriousjalebi) or drop me an email at pallavijuneja92@gmail.com!

Don’t forget to check out more Youtube Tutorials & subscribe to become part of The Curious Jalebi family. ๐Ÿ™‚

RESITHA S
    May 7, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Hi Pallavi,

I have had dandruff problems earlier. It has reduced a lot after I started using tea tree oil along with my normal shampoo not completely though. So will using conditioner/ leave-in conditioner bring back the dandruff?

Regards,
    Resitha

May 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm

No, just make sure you COMPLETELY rinse out the conditioner and when applying the leave in conditioner, you do not apply it to your scalp! Keep your scalp clean! ๐Ÿ™‚

• RESITHA S
        May 26, 2018 at 8:19 pm

Deekshita
    March 10, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Hello Pallavi Maโ€™am,
    I am a 17 years old curly haired girl. I actually didnโ€™t bother much about my hair till i reached 10th grade. I had got it temporarily straightened for my farewell just to experiment and luckily my curls werenโ€™t damaged much. My mom asked me not to straighten it further but the impulsive and silly me went ahead and got my hair temporarily straightened again for 3 times in a year. After this, the incessant hair fall began and the volume of my hair fell drastically. However, I believed my hair would recover soon and as I was infatuated with Tresemme, I started using their hair products. I never saw any results though…on the other hand my hair had become limp and stopped growing at all. I went on experimenting with different shampoos and conditioners hoping that my hairโ€™s condition would improve but they all failed to do so. Finally, my mom asked me to use Himalayaโ€™s Gentle Daily Care Protein shampoo and conditioner. After doing so for about 5 months, my hair finally started growing a little. I was happy but there were many split ends in my hair so I went to the salon and they cut all my damaged hair. My hair has growm eventually but I miss the old texture and volume of my curls. They were of 3A/3B type but now they are all loose in the middle and the ringlets only appear at the bottom. I really want your help. Can you please suggest me the steps I should follow to have healthy hair again?
    Regards,
    Deekshita

April 10, 2018 at 11:34 pm

Hi Deekshita! I’m glad your damaged hair is cut off, now healthy, happy hair can grow. I went through the same thing when I got temp straightening done. Lost a lot of hair. I have written my tips on how to get curls back in this post, please do check it out! :https://thecuriousjalebi.com/2017/02/22/how-to-get-back-your-curls-after-chemical-straightening-heat-damage/

This should help you figure out your next step. please also feel free to DM me your hair pictures on my Instagram @thecuriousjalebi – I can give better, personalised recommendations then

Transitioning From Chemically Straightened Hair to Curly Hair - The Curious Jalebi
    March 9, 2018 at 7:26 pm

[…] Check out my post for beginners – Curly Hair Tips For Beginners […]

Meera
    March 4, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Hey Pallavi,
    This is Meera and i am well on my way taking baby steps to a healthier hair routine. My cantu cream is working wonders for my hair, however, because of frizz the curl definition doesn’t last for long. I am contemplating whether a gel would solve the problem but at the same time i am also worried if a regular use of gels would damage my hair. Please advise๐Ÿ˜

April 10, 2018 at 11:36 pm

Hi Meera, any gel without alcohol or silicones won’t damage your hair. Infact you can make hair gel at home with flaxseeds. Just look it up on Youtube!

swetha
    January 17, 2018 at 6:01 pm

does curly co diffusser fits in braun satin hair series?

January 20, 2018 at 7:10 pm

Can’t say Swetha! Please check diameters of both before getting!

Shivani Priyam Kumar
    December 24, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Hey Pallavi.

After such a long, long period of trial and error have I discovered a way to care for my curls thanks to you and Anjana from Curls and Beauty diary. I have always loved my curly hair, but since everyone around me flaunted their staright, glossy locks I knew not what to do with mine. So naturally I did what they did. Combing out the tangles when dry, not using enough conditioner and (gasps!) using everything that had sulphate and silicones because why not.

I was introduced to Lorraine Massey’s CG method but was hardly able to pull out products that would suit the method. Frustrated I gave up only to find you guys. These days I am taking baby steps in order to care for my hair. I use the no-poo method for cleaning my build up which is basically baking soda and warm water. And if I have oil treatment them any shampoo diluted with water. And for conditioner I use the L’Oreal Smooth Intense conditioner and round it off with an oil-in-cream from Garnier.

While I am happy that my curls are transitioning and I know I need to be patient; I can’t help but want my curl pattern to tighten up. I was browsing through my childhood pictures and found my curls use to be 3A. But now they have loosened to 2C/3A, predominantly the latter. I wanted to ask how to tighten them back? Also I do suffer from frizz, minor, but frizz. How to control that? Add to it I work out every day for two to two and half hours and it is not a happy sight for my hair. How do I help my hair could back to its original texture and avoid the fizz? I really need help on this one.

Regards Shivani.

Shivani Priyam Kumar
      December 24, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Trust the keyboard to add certain glitch to the comment. My hair was a good type 3B which is now loose. I want my old pattern back. So help please. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Pallavi Juneja
        December 26, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Haha no worries! Send me your hair pictures if you like on Instagram if that will help.

December 26, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Hi Shivani!

Glad to see you’re being patient and motivated in your curly hair journey! Is the Oil in Cream CG friendly though? I think it will have silicones, please check.You should exchange it with a nice leave in conditioner instead which won’t weigh down your curls. The loose curls you are talking about, is that new curly hair or damaged hair from chemical treatments? If it is old hair that was under treatment, that won’t go back to your old texture. Best to slowly grow out new curly hair and take care of that well and chop off the damaged parts. It will be worth it in the end. Also, you can use an alcohol free gel like Taft, Set Wet (Blue) to decrease frizz. Please also deep condition once a week!

• Shivani Priyam Kumar
        December 27, 2017 at 11:19 am

I have never chemically treated my hair, and I have never had it straightened either. It was always me combing it and combing it and combing it some more. Thanks to all the years of abuse my hair has turned fine in structure and loose in texture.

About sending you a picture on Instagram, would it be okay if I told you I have no account there. ๐Ÿ˜…

Riana Ann
    October 13, 2017 at 11:40 am

Hello Pallavi,
    I’m a curly haired lady and only recently have I begun to embrace curly hair in all its splendour . I use Dove products on my hair – I have noticed considerably less frizz but find that my hair gets way too dry by the second day or the third . I wash my hair every 3 days only . The shampoo I use is Dove nourishing oil care . I condition with the same series of conditioner . After that , I use Dove intense repair all day repair cream. This cream is what works wonders the moment I am out of the shower . Hair is springy , glossy and curls are defined , I detangle my hair while conditioning . So I don’t comb my hair once I’m out of the shower .After an hour , my hair starts poofinh up and the curls frizz up , losing definition and shininess also. Hair tangles and I do find a lot of knots too.I sometimes use Dove serum at the ends of my hair . But I find it’s a temporary solution and quite depressing . What do you suggest I can do ? I don’t use any hair styling techniques or tools . Neither do I color my hair or do anything on it . Please let me know how I can manage my curls better . Also, I work out almost everyday and have to admit , am lazy to wash it . What can I do about that ?Do help me out .

Regards,
    Riana

October 21, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Hi Riana, I suggest you stop using Dove if you still have dryness, especially the cream. Instead use As I Am Leave in Conditioner or Cantu Curl Activator. For extra frizz you can try eco styler gel. Pls note that you need to comb after the conditioner as well. Don’t use a serum, it causes breakage over time.
      Clarify once with pantene lively clean then shift to wow acv shampoo or any sulphate free shampoo. Conditioner, you can try loreal smooth intense or matrix biolage. Are you deep conditioning every month? Please DM me your hair pictures on Instagram (@thecuriousjalebi) or email me at pallavijuneja92@gmail.com so I can see your hair structure. I also hope you are deep conditioning every week?