If you’ve been following me on my Instagram, you will know that I switched to a CG friendly routine only recently. Before switching, the OGX Quenching Coconut Curls Shampoo and Conditioner line was one of my favourites. And yes, my curls were still hydrated (see cover picture for reference) & felt great!
I do think that technique matters a lot & you can still get beautiful curls even if you cannot follow a pure CG routine.
This review of the OGX Coconut Curls Quencher Shampoo & Conditioner is based on the experience I had when I was using them. Writing it now because many of you ask me if this is okay for your curls since it’s easily available online & offline in India.
Table of Contents
OGX Coconut Curls Shampoo Review
Water (Aqua), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Coco/Isostearamide, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Honey, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Fruit Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-6, Polyquaternium-10, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Laureth-4, Laureth-23, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Methyl Gluceth-10, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance (Parfum).
Is It CG Friendly:
NO. It has Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Dimethicone & Amodimethicone.
Wondering what is a CG Friendly routine & why it matters? Read this post.
- Easily Available in India
- Good Quantity- Lasted me 2-3 months
- Lovely Coco-nutty Fragrance (!!)
- Not very drying
- Sulphate Free
- It may not have Sodium Lauryl Sulphate but Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate is a type of surfactant & behaves very like a sulphate. It can lead to dryness for some people.
- It has both of the silicones avoided by the curly girl community – Dimethicone & Amodimethicone which coat the strand to give softness. Unfortunately, the coating it provides can build up on your curls & will remain there until you use a shampoo with sulphates.
OGX Coconut Curls Conditioner
Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Honey, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Fruit Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Dimethiconol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum).
Is It CG Friendly:
NO. It has Dimethicone & Dimethiconol which are silicones and buid up on your hair over time.
- It’s got a lovely, thick, creamy consistency which makes it SO easy to detangle any knots!
- It leaves my curls feeling moisturised & soft.
- Great Fragrance-Big weakness for a coconutty smell.
- The first ingredient is water – this is important to give hydration to your curls.
- If you live in a city without extreme temperature & humidity, honey & Propylene Glycol will help maintain moisture balance.
- It has silicones! Dimethicone & Dimethiconol build up on your hair over time & can make them lifeless and dull unless you have a shampoo with sulphates in them.
- Cyclopentasiloxane & Polyquaternium-37 are CG approved but can still cause build up and many need a cleanser to remove.
- If you’re living in a hot, dry city, honey & Propylene Glycol will search for moisture in your own hair & leave it feeling frizzier.
Will I Buy Them Again:
I have switched to a pure CG friendly routine & my curls have become bouncier & defined. Until & unless I switch back to a non-cg routine, will have to avoid products by Ogx!
When I did use it, however, it worked well to cleanse my scalp & left it feeling soft (because of the cones). For people on a budget & who are not picky about your ingredients in your products, this is a good buy. I have MANY readers who are happy with this line. Some of them have noticed their curls get less volume and bounce with CG routine so they enjoy a little sulphate in their shampoo.
Want to try it out?
You can buy it the shampoo here & conditioner here.
Want me to review any other product? Drop a comment below!
If you want more tips & tutorials, don’t forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel & follow me on Facebook & Instagram!
Also, don’t miss this very important step in your curly hair routine- Deep conditioning. Watch my video tutorial below:
Hi Pallavi, I just got this shampoo and I wanted to understand that if I use it along with the other CG friendly stylers, how often and with what should I clarify/detox my hair? 🙂
Once a month seems fine 🙂
Can you please do a review on Anveya curls shampoo
In the works! Stay tuned! 🙂
I wanted to know about the product noughty. They are CG friendly but they have started to make my hair dry. Could you please review them if it’s possible!
Thank you so much for your tips on hair care !
I tried their wavy hair products long time back and really liked them! Surprised you found them dry. But trust your experience. See what’s responsible- shampoo, conditioner? If its shampoo, does usins more conditioner balance it? Is it the stylers?
I used this product and my hair started falling out like crazy. I had never had this problem until I started using this product I was really concerned and couldn’t figure out why. I quit using it and my hair stopped falling out. Just glad I realized it was this product before I got bald.
That’s really strange! Good you identified it in time!
I am planning to start my CG journey , Do you suggest to start with these products first for few months and then move to CG journey ?
In CG which shampoo and conditioner you will propose to all ? I am literally struggling to get list of shampoo and conditioner that I want to start with 🙁
If you can reply back would be of great help 🙂
Hey Radhika! Try any cg friendly shampoo conditioner in your budget. Technique often trumps products. I do suggest you find out if you have wavy or curly hair and then click on the relevant post below-
I was going to buy this but now I don’t think so.