Both the Ashba Botanics Curl Defining Gel and Leave-in-Conditioner have been trending in the Indian curly hair community for some time now and not without reason.
India’s first curly hair brand is a strong brand tagline – but does it deliver in terms of results?
Did Asha from Right ringlets (who I have interviewed earlier here) genuinely make a good product that works for all curly and wavy hair types?
Keeping our friendship aside, I’d answer that with a resounding yes!
I have loved the leave in conditioner (reviewed here) but the gel took some more time to understand how much of the product I need and it’s results.
Find out in depth of what I think of the Ashba Botanics Curl Defining Gel in my review below!
(P.s.- You can use CURIOUSJALEBI10 at Ashba Botanics for 10% OFF (on individual products, not sets). #Affiliate Thank you for your support!)
About Ashba Botanics
Named after our creator Asha Barrak, Ashba Botanics is the FIRST curly hair care brand in India. We bring carefully formulated products with naturally derived, toxin-free, safe ingredients.
The brand is an effort to lead on the revolution among the curly and wavy haired. It started from the curly hair movement brought about in India by our creator Asha Barrak (Right Ringlets, Indian Curl Pride)
Ashba Botanics Right Ringlets Curl Defining Gel Review
A curl-defining gel that provides definition and frizz control. It enhances your natural curls while maintaining natural movement. This gel provides medium to strong hold for long-lasting and natural-looking curls. A perfect blend of Amino Acids and Hydrolyzed Jojoba, it smoothens and seals hair cuticles. Control frizz protect against damage. This super gel does not leave any sticky after effects and is lightweight.
- Quantity: 8 OZ (236 ml)
- Price: Rs.1049
Ashba Botanics Right Ringlets Curl Defining Gel Ingredients:
Aqua, Polyquaternium-10, Acrylates Copolymer, Polyquaternium-11, Vegetable Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Jojoba Esters, Arginine HCl, Serine, Threonine, Anthemis Nobilis (Roman Chamomile) Flower Extract, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary ) Extract, UrticaDioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract , Wheat Amino Acids, D-panthenol, Cimicifuga Racemosa (Black Cohosh) Root Extract Lepidium Meyenii (Maca) Root Extract, Soy Amino Acids, Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Natural Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Aminomethyl Propanol, Tocopherol
Notes on Ingredients
- CG Friendly
- Has Protein
- Polyquaternium-10, Acrylates Copolymer, Polyquaternium-11 are all styling ingredients that provide hold. Since they’re in the first 5 ingredients, this gel should give good hold that lasts longer
- Vegetable Glycerin and Pentylene Glycol are humectants, which means it attracts moisture to your hair. Humectants gets tricky to work with in super hot/dry or super humid areas though and might cause more frizz.
- Hydrolyzed Jojoba are classified as film forming, hair conditioning & a skin conditioning ingredient. This is a protein.
- Arginine HCL,Serine, Threonine are amino acids found in hair and help in conditioning. They also strengthen and moisturize the hair because of their water-attracting habit.
- Filled with plant based extracts like Chamomile, Rosemary, Nettle Leaf, Black Cohosh Root, Maca Root, Milk Thistle seed that all have rich vitamins and minerals to provide
How to Use
- After applying your leave in conditioner or curl cream, smooth on a generous amount of the gel to each section from mid-length to ends.
- Combing after this is optional- people with very curly hair find combing gives better results but wavy and loose curly hair should avoid combing after gel and move on to the next step.
- If you want to comb, you can simply ‘Rake’ your fingers in or use a comb, like the Denman brush or the Curl Keeper Flexi Brush.
- Scrunch up to remove excess and encourage curl formation.
- Follow up with a t-shirt and ‘plop your hair‘ for a few minutes.
- Air dry or diffuse your hair for more volume.
This method is loved by wavy hair peeps across the world!
- After applying the leave in conditioner, apply 50% of the gel you’d normally use to your hair.
- Scrunch up vigorously and then ‘Diffuse’ your hair (Tutorial here)
- Dry until it is 50% dry and then apply the remaining 50% of the gel
- Diffuse again until it is fully dry.
- Another variation of this would be the 80/20 Gel created by Honest Liz that you try.
- Good hold but not too hard hold that it leaves a tacky feeling
- Has protein – I love protein in gels because it ads more body and definition
- Left my curls clumped and super defined
- Curls lasted long as 3-4 days with hardly any frizz
- It is also great to refresh your hair the next day as it has a cream-gel consistency
- Cg Friendly
- Indian Made
- Easy to spread the gel across sections of hair because of it’s creme gel consistency
- Leaves curls shiny
- Wavy hair people might need to layer another hard hold gel over this. I’d suggest you first experiment with the amount of gel first before you give it up though- I found out after I few tries that my hair just behaves better with more!
Anyone looking for curls that remain defined longer with less frizz, want their curls to clump better without a super-hard crunchy feeling. This will work for both wavies and curlies alike.
The Ashba Botanics Curl Defining Gel is a good gel that gives hold, body and shine! I’m all for supporting an Indian brand by a fellow blogger, especially because the products work really well! Definitely a must-try!
The products were sent to be to try a few months ago but the review is NOT sponsored by them.
I always aim to write a fair and balanced review and I hope this blog post reflects that! In case the product is in stock on Amazon and you buy it, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. This coffee money keeps my blog going! 🙂
Have YOU tried this gel? What did you think and did your waves and curls love it?
Let me know in the comments below or head over to my private coaching group on Facebook- Ask Jalebi to share your results!
Don’t leave without reading the review of it’s partner- Ashba Leave in Conditioner here.
See you on Instagram @thecuriousjalebi until my next post!