If you’ve been a part of the Natural hair community on Instagram, you’d have definitely seen many people using the Rawkyn Red Clay Hair Mask, along with Bounce Curl Gel & Righteous Roots Oil (a very popular trifecta).
I had originally watched people using this mask with some skepticism as there are not many reviews of this product online, besides Instagram and only a few videos on Youtube.
I couldn’t find any negative reviews and that made me suspicious. Reeeeally suspicious.
It is all hype?
An Instagram fad?
Read my review below to see the answers. 😉
Psst- This post is about deep conditioning, an essential part of a curly hair routine. Go quickly to this post and read up if you want to know why you should do this once a week.
Table of Contents
- 1 About Rawkyn Red Clay Hair Mask
- 2 Red Rawkyn Clay Hair Mask Review
- 3 How to Apply Rawkyn Red Clay Hair Mask
- 4 Benefits of Rawkyn Red Clay Hair Mask
- 5 What I Didn’t Like
- 6 Testimonials
- 7 Buy Rawkyn Red Clay Hair Mask Online in India
- 8 Disclaimer
- 9 Say hello
About Rawkyn Red Clay Hair Mask
Do you know what your hair has been missing? Well we do! It comes in this 8-ounce jar and it is filled with greatness. Who doesn’t want great hair?
Red Rawkyn is an intensely moisturizing deep conditioning treatment with red clay. The clay, our STAR ingredient, allows the mask to penetrate deeply into the hair follicle which promotes optimal absorption. Our mask is infused with murumuru butter, chamomile, coconut oil and sage. This clay mask will saturate your hair with its hydrating, frizz controlling and restorative formula. Rich in protein, vitamin B5 and great for ALL hair types.
Red Rawkyn Clay Hair Mask Review
Product Details –
- Quantity: 8 Oz/236 ml
- Texture: Thick and creamy
- Slip: High. Great for detangling.
- Price: $26.99 USD (1,987.34 without shipping) / Under Rs.2500 (links from where you can get them included at the end of the article)
- Shelf Life: 12 months after opening
Red Rawkyn Clay Hair Mask Ingredients
Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Coconut Oil, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Kaolin, Fragrance, Vitamin B5, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polyquaternium-10, Argilla, Mica, Montmorillonite, Butylene Glycol, Aloe, Witch Hazel, Chamomile, Sage, Murumuru Butter, Pequi Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyglycerin
The Magic of Clay
Kaolin Clay also known as white clay is the most gentle clay and ideal for dry hair! It removes dirt & toxins from your hair & scalp without stripping it’s natural oils leaving it clean AND moisturised.
Montmorillonite Clay on the other hand (also known as Bentonite clay but is actually Montmorillonite + some additions) is highly lauded in the cosmetics industry. It draws out positively charged toxins & oil from your hair & skin.
It also removes dead skin cells and cleanses the hair follicle, helping your hair to grow faster.
Want to learn more about what clay does to your hair? Watch this brilliant video.
- Behentrimonium Methosulfate is a gentle cleanser
- Cetearyl Alcohol, Coconut Oil, Murumuru Butter, Pequi Oil are all highly moisturising ingredients.
- Glycerin, Argilla & Vitamin B5 are humectants and help increase hair elasticity, moisture retention and plumping up fine hair
- It has a strong fragrance I love -clean and fruity.
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein helps bring some body, definition and extra oomph to your hair and strengthening it in the process! Great to reduce breakage, especially in high porosity hair or coloured hair.
IS IT CG Friendly
One of it’s ingredients, Witch hazel is a drying alcohol and is very popular as a natural astringent (toner) in skin care products. According to a quick internet search, as this is a drying alcohol, this qualifies it as NOT CG (Curly Girl Friendly).
Now, Honest Liz, told me (and in her review about this mask) that there is no mention of Witch Hazel in the book Curly Girl: The Handbook by Lorraine Massey (Lorraine is the founder of the CG Method) so I went back to read the book.
In the ingredients section, there is no long list as such of chemicals to avoid (if there is, send me a picture, I couldn’t find it) – she gives general categories- avoid sulphates in shampoos, silicones in conditioner and drying alcohols in gels.
So yes, there is no mention of witch hazel specifically in the book.
Then I found this new site for ingredient analysis – https://www.curlsbot.com/
When I put the Rawkyn ingredients to check – it said this IS CG but with caution – you need to be careful about where the witch hazel is extracted from as some can find this drying & most have alcohol in them.
However, like Loreal Smooth Intense, Matrix Biolage Aloe Hydrasource Mask this ingredient is not present in large amounts (at the end of the ingredient list) and will not be drying on your hair. I think it has been used for formulation purposes. PLUS – you’re not leaving this on your hair for 2-3 days – it’s a deep conditioner, not a styling product.
Also, there’s so much of buttery, moisturising good ingredients in this already, and I never felt like it was drying to my hair at any point.
So is it CG Approved? I can’t say but I can say that it doesn’t really matter. 😉
How to Apply Rawkyn Red Clay Hair Mask
- Since kaolin clay is a gentle cleanser, don’t use it on hair that has a LOT of build up.
- If your hair is very knotted, apply your favourite oil (people love this oil with this mask) & detangle gently.
- Use a cleansing/clarifying shampoo on your scalp and hair before the mask for the product to penetrate your hair better.
- After cleansing, when your hair is still wet, gently separate your hair into 2-3 sections.
- Apply enough of Rawkyn Red Clay Hair Mask to coat the section and detangle with fingers first and then a wide toothed comb.
- This gets abosrbed into your hair pretty quickly so don’t get worried if you don’t see a paste on top of your hair like a betonite clay mask.
- Put your hair into a bun or twists and then cover it with a shower cap.
- Cover it with a heat cap or even a hot towel and keep it on for 20-30 mins.
- Rinse it out and style as normal.
Want to watch how I apply the mask and my new updated curly hair routine?
Subscribe to my channel & stay tuned 😉
After using it extensively for a year plus almost, here’s what I found.
Benefits of Rawkyn Red Clay Hair Mask
- Cleanses, Moisturises AND strengthens hair in one go.
- You need a small amount for each section, making it last for 5-6 months easily.
- Looking for Protein- Moisture balanced products? This is it!
- Go longer without needing to wash your hair every 2-3 days.
- Can be used before cleansing as well, especially for wavy hair that may feel weighed down with intense conditioning.
- Easily melts into hair and helps to detangle knotted dry sections.
- Pairs incredibly well with other styling products
What I Didn’t Like
But Pallavi, this is too expensive
Yes, it is not cheap! You’re paying for really great ingredients and shipping together.
If you’re not getting the results you like with other products, this is a brilliant investment to make in your hair journey.
But it has witch hazel! How can you use it in your CG Routine?
Hey, I ain’t no CG Purist to begin with. I see how the product performs on my hair instead of just judging the product by it’s label.
Also, the moisturising ingredients counteract any dryness that it may cause (which btw, I’ve personally never seen).
Will the clay dry my hair?
This is not your DIY Shampoo/ ACV + betonite mask and won’t leave your hair stiff or dry. See the reader testimonials below if you’re not sure. 😉
I have low po hair, and it’s protein sensitive.
The protein (Hydrolysed wheat protein) does not form the first 5 ingredients and is not at the end of the list either- so this is a gentle protein treatment, making it safe for even low-po fine hair that struggles with protein sensitivity.
Read this brilliant post by Wendy to see how you should not shy from protein treatments but instead find out how you can incorporate it into your routine carefully to gain maximum benefits.
Turns out, the hype is real, yo!
Honestly, after finishing a tube of this and ordering for my second (larger) tub, I can firmly say this product definitely delivers for me unlike any other deep conditioner.
Here’s what some other gorgeous curlies have to say-
View this post on Instagram
Close up on hair situation and its Day 3 since hair wash and look at them 😍 @raw_kyn magic 🙏🏻😘 Swipe right too 👉🏻 . Also, I did a front hairstyle today(not visible in these pictures but in the previous one) which keeps the hair out of your face and at the same time makes you look ultra stylish and may be cute 🙄😂 . Might do a post on that 🙈 . #curlyhairgal #curlyhairblogger #indiancurls #curlywavy #curlsforthegirls #teamcurly #naturalcurls #curlyhairstyles #ethnicday #indianlook #indiancurlyhairblog #indianblogger #allaboutcurls
You can find more results under this hashtag on Instagram.
Buy Rawkyn Red Clay Hair Mask Online in India
Get from Naturally You Me (Use my code CURIOUSJALEBI to get a discount!)
You can also order it from Naturalistic Products who ship it to India from the UK.
My experiences with products are mine and mine only! Please do understand that different hair types might behave differently and results can vary.
If you’re new here, I’d love to see you hop on over to my private Facebook group where you can drop any questions you might have. You can keep up with me through my Instagram @thecuriousjalebi ! If you’d like to read more, head to this page and remember to watch my video tutorials here on Youtube. Until next time guys, hope you have a brilliant day! 🙂