UPDATE – I published this article on Jan 1 2018. Since then, I have tried several new gels and stylers. There are many more, better gels available than this below (though I owe this gel a lot too) that I have listed in this post – Curly Hair Products in India. Do check it out since many have complained Amazon is selling fakes of this gel online!)
Not able to reduce frizz even after using leave in conditioners and creams? You might need to add a gel to your curly hair routine. I added one more than a year ago and my results improved drastically. They were more defined, shiny than they’d ever been & I didn’t need to wash my hair as often. All this without a hard, crunchy gel cast. This magical product for me was the Ecostyler gel, the pink tub.
After navigating the Youtube universe of natural hair care for several years, I got used to hearing about this popular brand of hair gels in the states. ALL of their gels are alcohol free, that many wavy and curly hair people actively look out for since it won’t dry curls out. I never knew there would come a time when I could buy & try it in India!
PS – For all the new readers, this was one of my old, favourite gels. I have tried many new products since then. I don’t use this anymore, only because I have too many left to try! 🙂
Table of Contents
- 1 Pin This Image
- 2 Which Ecostyler Gel should I get?
- 3 Description
- 4 Ingredients: 2 Types of Ecostyler Gel (Pink) Available Online
- 5 Is it CG Approved:
- 6 Price:
- 7 Consistency:
- 8 Fragrance:
- 9 How to Apply Ecostyler Gel
- 10 Ecostyler Gel is Perfect For
- 11 Pros:
- 12 Cons:
- 13 Will I Buy This Again
- 14 My Readers Experiences with Ecostyler Gel
- 15 Buy Ecostyler Gel Online
Pin This Image
Which Ecostyler Gel should I get?
Ecostyler gels have different colours, levels of ‘hold’ & are meant for different hair needs. There are ones for extra protein, for keeping your hair slicked back while playing sports, for relaxed hair & even colour treated hair. Their ingredients are mostly similar, only with small, tiny differences. If you want a primer on the different eco gels, you can check out videos on Youtube.
I have tried only the pink one since I first saw it for just Rs.640 on Nov, 2016! Even after the price increased, I have continued to buy this & I also included this in my first giveaway. Find out why I love this for my curls, how I apply it & you can too on your natural hair, in my review below!
Eco Style Curl & Wave Gel is a firm holding gel ideal for curly and wavy hair. It is weightless and provides gravity-defying hold for all styles. Eco Style Curl & wave gel is water based and will provide moisture to help maintain healthy hair. HOLD 8
Ingredients: 2 Types of Ecostyler Gel (Pink) Available Online
- New Anti Itch Ingredient List – Water, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Glycerin, Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) Oil, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis) Extract, Calendula Officinalis Extract, Echinacea Angustifolia, Centella Asiatica, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance, D&C Red No. 33.
- Old Ingredient List -Water, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Glycerin, Amino-2-Methyl-1-Propanol, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance, CI 17200 Red 33, Love and Pride.
I have used both & have found no difference in the results. I also asked the team on Instagram but they haven’t responded. Neither caused me flaking or itchiness so I couldn’t differentiate between the two as such!
Notes on Ecostyler Gel Ingredients:
Remember, ALWAYS look for water based gel for curly hair, instead of it having alcohol. Hydrolyzed wheat protein slows down water loss & PVP gives the gel ‘hold’. Glycerine is a humectant. Tea Tree, Chamomile, Calendula Officinalis Extract, Echinacea Angustifolia, Centella Asiatica are all herbal ingredients great for scalp.
Now, for those concerned about Tetrasodium EDTA, please note that as the ingredient is at the end of the list, it means there is is less than 1% of this chemical in the product. Tetrasodium EDTA prevents the deterioration of cosmetic products & also helps in products work better in hard water. BUT, this ingredient is considered slightly risky or a ‘baddie’ by some skin experts as some people believe it to potentially cause cancer in very high doses. There is not enough study on this matter yet.
The Cosmetic Safety Database rates the hazard of the ingredient at a low “2″. They also said the ingredient was not well absorbed in the skin.
In the end, it’s your call how you feel about this. I know that since this ingredient is at the end of the list, there is hardly any of it in the product (science of formulation). I also am not applying it to the skin. I’m comfortable with this, just make sure you are too if you want to use this!
Is it CG Approved:
YES! No parabens, silicones, alcohol or sulphates.
Rs. 640 – Rs.2000 (Depending on quantity & amazon’s pricing)
Jelly Like. Soft. Spreads easily and helps glide across hair strands.
Very light, slight fruity smell. Can’t really tell what it smells of. This is great if you want the fragrance of your leave in or curl cream to stand out.
How to Apply Ecostyler Gel
- Praying + Scrunching
Smooth on the gel after applying leave in/curl cream on your hair in a praying motion. Take a T shirt and scrunch up. This is great for wavy textures who want to make fatter clumps.
- Raking In/Denman Brush
After smoothing (praying method) on the gel, take your fingers to comb through or use a Denman Brush – this will create smaller clumps. This is what I do, you can watch the video below! Note: If you like bigger clumps, combing after applying gel will open them up. Do Method 1 or 3 in that case!
- Smasters Method
With wet hands, take half of what you would normally use of your styling products & rake it in on wet hair. Scrunch scrunch scrunch! Diffuse/Air Dry till curls or waves are 50% dry. Re-apply the remaining 50% of the styling product again with wet hands. Diffuse again till it’s fully dry. Remember to use wet hands since dry hands with sticky product will cause frizz & separate the strands.
Watch how I apply Ecostyler Gel in my video below:
Remember to SOTC (Scrunch out the crunch) with an oil to remove the ‘crunchiness’ or gel cast that will form after the hair has dried (2-3 hours, or right after diffusing). I did it in the below video with Righteous Root Oil.
View this post on Instagram
SOTC (Scrunch out the crunch) with @righteousrootsoils! (You can get this oil on @honestproductshere) I need only a small amount to remove the crunchy gel cast and fluff my crown so they don’t lie flat. ✨ Another tip to avoid flat crown – style your hair on one side and when it dries, flip it to the other! I often flip sides on day 2, 3 so it looks more voluminous. 😁 Earrings from @myglobaldesi that @wanderingincolor gifted me as my not so secret Santa 🎅 😂 . Styling products revealed in a video I’ll post here soon. Slightly shocked by one of them since only yesterday I realised it has an alcohol 😭😭😭 and I feel extra betrayed because it gives me such bomb results! Anyway, stay tuned to find out ✨
Want more styling methods to try? Check out this post: Ultimate Styling Guide For Waves & Curls
Ecostyler Gel is Perfect For
Anyone who’s facing frizz despite using a leave in conditioner, curl cream and deep conditioning often. If you are struggling with clumps & having longer non wash days, you should add a gel to your routine.
- Massive Quantity– A tub lasts me a year.
- Doesn’t have alcohol
- No flaking, itchiness that I’ve personally seen.
- Glides so smoothly over my curls! No tangles caused at all.
- Clumps well.
- Some readers have seen flaking when using it to style. (please remember to mix your leave in/curl cream with the gel on your hand first to see if it mixes well and then apply the gel. If it flakes, you might need to try another combination of products)
- Why do they have different ingredient formulations even while writing Anti Itch on both products and only one of them has tea tree oil? I’ve asked them for the most updated ingredient list, will add it here once I know!
- Some curly girls might need more hold/gel cast than this!
- EDTA as an ingredient
Will I Buy This Again
Without a doubt. I will always turn to this for great hair days even If i try and review other gels.
My Readers Experiences with Ecostyler Gel
1. Swati Garg– I started with CG journey almost 7 months ago with enliven olive gel. Being new I did not know what to expect from that gel other than hold. Enliven olive gel was a good start but it was heavy for my hair and than I plunged in & bought Pink ecostyler. This gel not only has an amazing hold but also helps in curl formation. I have extreme LOPO hair and it is super light on my hair as it feels natural which was not the case with enliven.
I love this gel but you have to be careful with the leave in before this gel. iIn my experience it does not go well with all leave in conditioners. For me so far it has done wonders with Loreal Intense conditioner ( same as leave in) & Soap Box Argan Oil conditioner.
2. Rhea Joe– Eco styler gel is without doubt a game changer for me. Not only did I get defined shiny curls, it easily lasted 3-4 days with light refresh if water with little conditioner. And a little goes a long way, so the tub would last long. And absolutely worth the cost.I happened to buy it in a lightening deal on Amazon for ₹800. Would definitely recommend this product to all curlies. Thanks to Pallavi for introducing me to this wonder product. (Thanks Rhea <3)
Buy Ecostyler Gel Online
The Amazon link above is an affiliate link which means if you buy the product using that link, I earn a tiny commission. This helps me keep the website running and afford new curly hair products to try out for you guys. 🙂 Also, products that might work for my hair might not work for you and vice versa! Please remember this is my personal experience of the product & your hair can behave differently.
Thank you for reading my review! I hope this clears up some of the doubts you’ve been having. If you have any more questions, feel free to follow & ask me on questions on my Instagram (@thecuriousjalebi) or my Facebook page (The Curious Jalebi).
Until next time! <3