I can’t count the number of times I have been asked to recommend shampoos to my readers, even more than conditioners (which 3X more important for curly hair). As a result I wrote the post ‘Shampoos For Curly hair under Rs.1000.’
But, for readers that were looking for a gentle, natural shampoo for their kid’s waves and curls, or they themselves had a sensitive scalp (eczema, allergies, acne etc), options would get limited even when price wasn’t an issue. I would usually refer such them to my friends Asha & Liz, both curly mums who I thought would know better.
Some time back, Liz, who was well aware of my issues with chronic dandruff, sent me the Curly Ellie Shampoo that she has been using for her kids. She said that since it was more gentle than my medicated shampoo, it would reduce my scalp inflammation & as a result remove dandruff from my scalp.
So did it? Will I recommend this for your tiny tots with short, growing, sensitive curly & wavy hair? Read on below to find out in my review, along with notes on it’s ingredients, a video on how I apply it on my scalp & results!
About Curly Ellie
The Curly Ellie collection was launched by Zaina O’Halloran, a banker. She wanted gentle, soothing products for her child Ellie who had suffered from eczema and allergies as a baby. Products off the shelf were not working on Ellie’s hair so she made an entire collection to suit her & most children’s needs!
The collection has also won GOLD at the 2017 Made for Mums Award & Top 10 WholeFoods Market Hair Care product for Summer 2017. Their collection includes a shampoo, conditioner, deep treatment, leave in conditioner & detangling spray.
Gentle sulfate-free cleanser to wash off impurities without stripping the hair of natural oils. Hair is left smooth and conditioned with Aloe Vera Juice, Quinoa protein and Pro-Vitamin B5 to keep hair healthy and happy.
Our luxurious and gentle shampoo cleanses, detangles and adds shine to curly hair, giving a soft, smooth and clean feeling! Using this shampoo prepares the hair for deep conditioning or light conditioning using CurlyEllie Nourishing Conditioner.
Without Sulfates, Parabens, Silicones, Synthetic Fragrances, Mineral oils. Gluten Free and suitable for Vegans. 100% Natural Fragrance.
Ingredients of Curly Ellie Shampoo:
Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice *, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (Naturally derived from Coconut and Palm Oils) **, Cocamidopropyl Betaine ( Naturally derived from coconut oil), Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate (Naturally derived from coconut oil ) ***, Glycerin (Vegetable Glycerine), Gluconolactone, Arginine, Sodium Chloride, Parfum (100% Natural Fragrance), Hydrolyzed Quinoa ****, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Sodium Benzoate, Polyquaternium-47, Coconut Acid, Glyceryl Laurate, Calcium Gluconate, Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate.
- *Certified Organic, Star-K Kosher, Certified Halal
- **EcoCert, Biodegradable, Sulfate Free, PEG and EO/PO Free, Nitrogen Free
- *** Certified Sustainable Palm Oil derivatives
- **** ECOCERT and COSMOS compliant
Notes on Ingredients:
Is it CG Approved:
It is free of harsh sulphates, silicones, drying alcohol, parabens which should make it CG right? According to Is It CG, a website that cross checks the ingredients says it isn’t because it counts Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate as a sulphate. See my infographic above on why it’s used, and read this article on Naturally Curly : Is Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate a Sulfate? to solve any doubts you may have on it being safe.
Don’t know what is CG? Check out this post: ‘What Is Cg Method, Do I Use This‘
Who is it For?
The Curly Ellie Shampoo is for you if
- Your current shampoo really dries out your natural hair.
- You’re looking for gentle cleansing without removing your scalp’s natural oils.
- You have or are a wavy, curly infant or child who wants to use only gentle products without harsh sulphates.
- You’re suffering from allergies, skin conditions, eczema.
- Your deep conditioning treatments don’t seem to work as well as earlier.
- Co-washing leaves your scalp feeling greasy.
- You work out often and need to cleanse scalp more often.
- Your scalp feels inflamed with red, bumps.
- You live in a tropical, humid climate.
How to Use:
I apply a small amount to my scalp after wetting my hair thoroughly. I massage with my finger tips until it begins to lather and then I switch to my shampoo brush. The brush helps to remove any particles or dirt stuck to my scalp. This also increases circulation in my scalp which is great for hair growth.
I usually let the water rinse off the length of my hair. If I am prepping for deep conditioning, only then do I apply it along the length of my hair.
- Free of Sulphates, Parabens & Mineral Oil, gluten, wheat, Nitrogen
- Free of Propylene glycol (Infants and children below the age of 4 years, pregnant women, and those with kidney dysfunction or in renal failure are not able to eliminate propylene glycol in the body.)
- Certified Organic, Star-K Kosher, Certified Halal
- Water & Aloe vera juice are deeply moisturising.
- Great for kids with sensitive scalps, allergies.
- Great for people who want a clean scalp without excessive drying.
- Those looking for gentle cleansing.
- It lathers! Those who psychologically feel better with shampoo lather will enjoy this.
- Preps the hair for deep conditioning so the hair mask can penetrate better.
- Great for reviving curls from limp, lifeless ones to ones full with bounce.
- Gentler version than Pantene Lively Clean.
- Did not reduce dandruff for me. 😔 Some people are just more prone to it and I am one of them. It did reduce my scalp inflammation, so I alternate using this shampoo with a medicated one.
- Didn’t like it’s scent too much – but this is a personal preference. 👩
- Be careful if you are sensitive to protein since it has Quinoa as an ingredient, albeit in very small quantities.
In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this shampoo. Do note that it did not really remove my dandruff, perhaps it is too gentle for that! 😄 You can check out the results on my hair in the video below!
Did you deep condition your hair this weekend? I did! I also want to cut my hair short and then I remember how much I enjoy doing this 😂. Full routine and products used below!: . 🌿Pre Poo with @righteousrootsoils (once a week) 🌿 Shampooed with @curlyellie shampoo 🌿 Conditioned with @mamaearth.in masque 🌿 Deep treatment with @raw_kyn (weekend pampering!) 🌿 Styled with @asiamnaturally leave in conditioner (why my hair is light and voluminous) and @thebodyshop Wheatgrass gel (good definition) 🌿 Styling tool – @denmanbrush . . @righteousrootsoils @curlyellie @raw_kyn courtesy @honestproductshere ! Review on these coming soon!
Buy it in India
The shampoo was sent over by Honest Products for me to test it on my scalp & review it on the blog. It in no way compromises my opinions and views and I am honest & objective in my opinion. 😊
Join The Conversation
Is anyone even reading these reviews? 😉 Besides just stats – I’d love to hear from you. Have you used this shampoo? What was your experience? And what about the way I review – do like them and want more? Is it too detailed? Join the conversation on the comment section below! Until next time <3