Sick & tired of managing your frizzy wavy & curly hair? What if I told you you’re taking care of it completely wrong?
It’s unfortunate that we don’t grow up learning what I have listed below or we could have saved us years of trouble. Our hair texture is beautiful, wild, perfect; you just need to learn how to take care of it properly. Read & understand with these easy 10 facts about wavy and curly hair!
- Curly hair is naturally/structurally/inherently DRY. Because of its spiral structure, the natural oils from your scalp can’t reach the ends.
Cue- rough brittle hair & split-ends, more so with longer hair. That is why conditioning your ends is incredibly important.
- Regular shampooing will damage your hair. You know how detergents affect your skin? After you wash your clothes, your palm feels rough? The sulphate! This strips your strands of moisture & natural oils, when it was already deficient! Either you shampoo less (like once a week), use a non-sulphate shampoo or co-wash with conditioner. I’ll share the names of the products for different budgets with you soon.
- Curly hair grows in patterns or clumps. When you brush or comb it dry, the strands get separated forcefully & poof up! That is why you should ALWAYS comb your hair when it’s damp & with a leave-in-conditioner in it (that retains its shape & pattern).Look at the two pictures of my hair below, taken a couple of years ago.
- Since our curly hair is dry, it sucks moisture from where it’s available- like your environment! That is why on humid days, you have more frizz than you would in winters. Even if you can’t get rid of it completely, you can reduce it with a good hair care routine.
- Hello hair shrinkage! Pull a curly strand straight down & measure – that is your actual length. It shrinks because of its shape. Remember this when you go get your hair cut next! The hairdresser will wet your hair and comb to cut it. But when it finally dries, it’s shorter than you thought it would be!
- By now you will have learnt that water= good. So naturally heat= VERY BAD). And yes, those everyday ten minutes of “harmless” straightening of your bangs or blow drying to make it look “neat” damages your hair shaft leaving it dry & rough.
- Conditioners, leave in conditioners, hair masks, a good hair oil & a wide-toothed comb will become your best friends.
- Your hair care routine will depend on your texture. Is it wavy, curly or coily? How dense or porous is it? Will be it be easier for you maintain short or long hair healthily? I have a mix of 3A & 3B. Find out more about Texture Typing here : This will help you choose the perfect mix of products & styling tips!
- Don’t use a towel to dry your hair. Use a microfiber towel (available on Flipkart) or an old t Shirt (my go-to) after your hair wash. If you scrunch up with the t shirt, your curl pattern gets activated.
- Leave your hair alone! After it dries, avoid touching or messing it up. It makes it super frizzy.
Lastly, you are incredibly lucky to be a curly girl! It is beautiful & you can grow to love the hell out of it if you learn how to take care of it properly. Please don’t think straight hair is the only kinda beautiful. And considering most Indian women, especially South Indians have curly, wavy hair, lets learn to flaunt it, not reduce it to a haystack with chemical straightening & blow drying. Give it a chance, watch how from frizzy waves & curls, they transform to healthy, soft & bouncy curls !