Instagram

My Curly Hair Routine

August 14, 2016

Update: I’ve moved to a CG Friendly routine now. Will do an updated curly hair routine shortly. 🙂 – 17/08/17

My hair won’t curl up like yours, it’s too frizzy.

I straighten my hair everyday because the frizz just makes it look very unkempt.

Which shampoo should I use to get my hair like that?

*Gasp* You mean you don’t comb your hair after you wash it!?

These are just some of things I hear people say when they see my hair & they ask me if it’s natural or permed. And the astonishment at it being natural, without the cloud of frizz makes me honestly quite annoyed. Not at the questioner but at the fact that most girls are brought up with Oil, Comb, Plait routine that we never think about how different hair types would require different ways of caring for it. And the Indian media  doesn’t really show (except perhaps Dove) women happy with their coily, curly hair. All of them are usually chasing that silky straight ideal. Which is surprising because majority of the people in India have either wavy or curly hair.

I was lucky enough to figure out how to take care of my hair in college (thank you google & this brilliant blogger who started it all) & through so many product trials and experiments, I’m finally happy with my hair care routine. It’s easy, no you don’t need expensive products & yes it will take time for your hair to become healthy and bouncy again (especially if you have straightened it), so please have patience!

Here’s a basic rundown of what I do to get well moisturized, soft curls:

post

While shampooing, make sure you don’t over do it. Limit it to your scalp and the ends & this will reduce dryness, in turn minimizing the frizz!

This is the amount of conditioner I use:

IMG_2871

That instruction on the back “Use a coin sized amount” is absolute crap. Again, all hair’s the same right? Humph. Curly hair requires generous amounts of conditioner to keep it well moisturized. Without it, your hair will seek water from the environment, hence the frizz!

So please, take a good dollop of your conditioner (you can adjust the amount after a few trials) & spread it through the hair with your palms. Not just the ends, from mid hair to the ends.  Part your hair & de-tangle gently with your fingers first- this reduces breakage.

Then take a wide- toothed comb & always begin with the bottom of your hair and comb upwards or you’ll end up breaking your curls. Many curly haired girls don’t need a narrower comb after this- but I tend to have really tiny knots so I use one.

Hairbrushes are a complete no no! Stick to combs.

Now wash off the conditioner gently & wrap your hair in a t shirt or a microfiber towel. A normal towel will give you frizz.

When the hair is still really damp, take your leave in conditioner & do the same as you did with the conditioner inside the shower. Use your comb to spread the leave in equally through your hair & then tilt your head downwards with all the hair in front of your face. Take  a tshirt and gather your hair & scrunch upwards for 2-3 mins.

And it’s done! Let it air dry (avoid a blow dryer unless you have a diffuser) & don’t play with the curls much. Just let them be & enjoy!

It takes me 15 -20 minutes every time I wash my hair. I know this looks incredibly time consuming but you learn to race through it.

These are the products I use. All of them are easily available in India! You can find them on Flipkart or Amazon, try them & let me know what you think.

Shampoo:

First Day of The Month: John Frieda Dream Curls Boucles Coutoure or OGX Quenching Curls Coconut Shampoo (Extra points for the delicious coconuty smell & it’s surfactant free)
When I’m Broke: (Loreal , Sunsilk)

Conditioner:

First Day of The Month: John Frieda Dream Curls Boucles Coutoure  or OGX Quenching Curls Coconut Conditioner
When I’m Broke: (Sunsilk Pink Conditioner – Absolutely brilliant for its price)

IMG_2589IMG_2610

Leave in:

First Day of the Month: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Intensely Smooth leave in Conditioning Cream (Smells incredible) or Org Moroccan Argan Oil Curl Prefector Cream
When I’m broke: BBlunt curl defining cream

IMG_2594

Hair Oil: Parachute Coconut oil, Almond Oil

This is how my hair looks after I’ve air dried it for at least 3-4 hours

dgerIMG_2859IMG_2856

Watch out for my video on my curly hair routine in which I’ll show you how much and the way I apply these products!

If you have any questions about it or the best products for your hair type, don’t hesitate to drop a comment!

Stay tuned to my updates on Instagram @thecuriousjalebi !

Kate
    July 5, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Hey , just wanted to know if you have tried any of Forrest Essential’s conditioners and shampoos. I mean they also claim to be sulphate and paraben free and totally filled with natural products.

July 7, 2017 at 4:29 am

Hey Kate! I haven’t tried their shampoo and conditioners because the quantity is too less for the price. But I have tried their pre shampoo masque and it’s incredible.

Swathi
    April 25, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Hi Pallavi,

For quite a sometime I was looking for curly hair routine and tried all the methods mentioned by the bloggers or YouTube’s but none worked for me. Lately I came across your video on YouTube and found interesting and just tried with the products i had.. then….. I could not believe it… I have seen results on my hair… My husband also complimented that my curls looked more way defined… I had little frizz but i guess if i use the right amount of the product and follow this routine…Then i should be able to master it… Thank you so so so much for this hair routine and wish to see more… All the best… Love you Pallavi.

April 26, 2017 at 5:05 am

Yay! I’m so glad Swathi! Thank you <3 WIl be posting more content soon so stay tuned!

My Favourite Leave-in-Conditioners in India for Curly Hair – The Curious Jalebi
    September 26, 2016 at 5:47 pm

[…] So there you have it! I’d recommend these 3 blindly to anyone who asks me how to take care of their curly hair. If you want to see a video of how to apply the leave in conditioner– check this out. For my curly hair routine & other product recommendations, click here. […]

Divya @curlacious
    September 19, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Beautifully written…your curls look gorgeous, Pallavi!! :-*

September 21, 2016 at 10:33 am

Thank you Divya! Glad you liked the post. 🙂

Cherry Verma
    September 19, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Hi Pallavi.. I am in love with this page and your blogs. I too have natural curls (thanks to my mom though 😛 ) but unfortunately I didn’t love them few years back. I started hating them and got them rebonded twice. But now I have realised that curls look so unique and beautiful and I don’t wanna get them straightened again. After reading your blog I bought the ogx quenching curls shampoo and I am in love with it ! Feels like I’ve found my dream shampoo and conditioner ! Though my hair are still very dull and frizzy but I am working to get them look the way they were before I tortured them with straightening chemicals ! You’re an angel for all curlies ! Thanks a ton and please do post more remedies on how to make our natural curls look beautiful ! 🙂 Love ya !

September 21, 2016 at 10:26 am

This is SUCH a nice thing to wake up to! I’m so glad you’re loving the ogx line- My mom uses it too now( I’ve gotten it from her as well, thanks to mallu genes). If you’re chemically treated your hair, your hair will take a while to go back. I went through the same thing when I straightened my hair in school. I had to cut off my damaged ends & begin again. So please be patient! It takes time for the hair to get healthy.

I’ve done a small video routine on my leave in conditioner here:https://goo.gl/ElN4IF If you aren’t applying a leave in, do it that way, will do wonders for the frizz.

And I will post more & soon! Thanks Cherry. <3

Sonia
    August 18, 2016 at 8:25 am

Hey Pallavi, I have been following this routine for the last two times I washed my hair and I loveeee this. My hair looks fuller and my curls are more defined now. This is amazing! I would love to know how you handle hair while travelling (right now, I just clip it in an updo) and how to avoid tangles making your hair fragile as that happens to me a lot and I end up having to comb my hair.

August 19, 2016 at 5:46 am

I’m so glad these tips are working out for you!
      I’m pretty lazy actually, I either keep it open or put it in a bun. I avoid tangles by keeping my hair to one side (which doesn’t have any bag straps!) and I avoid touching or playing with it. If I have put in the right amount of leave in conditioner & gel, tangles are less.
      Also, a lot of the tangles happen when you sleep, so put your hair into a protective hairstyle- I’ve replied similarly to another visitor, you can check it here: https://goo.gl/8RFLJi

It’s also impt to ALWAYS detangle your hair with product in, hope you’re doing that!

Hope this helps!

• Sonia
        August 21, 2016 at 5:48 am

Yeah I have been doing that again this week. So, helping a lot. Also, okay to comb with leave in on? Or should I do it before, in the shower?

• Pallavi Juneja
        August 21, 2016 at 6:48 am

Basically, no combing without some product in your hair. So do it twice!
        I comb my hair inside the shower first with my conditioner on. Rinse. Wrap hair in tshirt. Put the leave-in conditioner & comb again (put the leave in when hair is still quite wet). Scrunch up!

Curls and Beauty Diary
    August 16, 2016 at 5:46 am

This is awesome 🙂 You have beautiful curls! Is the Garnier leave in available online in India?

Aanchal yadav
    August 15, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Hey pallavi,
    Aanchal this side. I love the blog! Its so helpful. I too have started doing some changes in tehe routine thanks to your blog…
    But i have some questions
    Well professionally I’m a dentist and currently doing my post graduation. So even if i do follow all the other parts, how do i manage the hair as i need to wear headcaps everyday for atleast 6-7hrs and that makes my hair loose its bouncyness and knots form. Cant keep my hair open to much as well as they get tangles very fast
    Please do suggest something

August 16, 2016 at 8:04 am

Hi Aanchal,

So happy you like the blog. Let me know how the changes work out for you.
      As for the headcap, is there a way for the material to be of satin? If not, there are some protective hairstyles you can do.(google pineapppling your curls if you can). I will do a post on these soon.

The easiest way is to make a loose bun after putting a leave in & gel & wear a satin headscarf. Also, try to get a satin pillow case to rest your hair on at night.

The tangles should reduce after a month or two of taking care of your curly hair this way. You can also put a little bit of almond or coconut oil after the leave in on the strands that get really tangled.

Hope this helps!