In the CG method of taking care of your curly hair, also called as Curly Girl Method, you do not use any product with sulphates & silicones. You also avoid styling gels with alcohol in them. I know it’s not easy getting products for curly hair in India & then avoiding two extremely common ingredients makes it even tougher!
BUT, there are many CG Friendly products available in India now, thanks to Amazon, Flipkart, Nykaa, Purpelle & others. And newer & newer products keep getting introduced. There are some mentioned in this post – My Favourite Curly Hair Products in India.
If you’re interested in following this method, get in the habit of reading the ingredient labels on the products before buying them. With time, you’ll quickly learn to spot the culprits.
I’ve also collated a long ass list of ingredients from different guides, books & posts online that is given below. You can copy paste the list in a word document & compare the ingredients ( Control + F makes it quicker) whenever you are shopping online.
Harsh Sulphates: Most common in shampoos, strip natural oils from the hair & makes it dryer & frizzier.
Mid Surfactant – Less drying, recommended instead of Harsh sulphates for cleansing & clarifying.
Bad Silicones– Build up on the hair strand, do not allow further moisture to get in. Not soluble in water. Need sulphates to be remove.
Mild Silicones – Silicones that are not soluble in water but prevent more buildup
Milder Silicone – Silicones that are slightly soluble in water, but will still build up gradually
Safe Silicones – Silicones that are soluble in water. They often have “PEG” or “PPG” added in the beginning
Proteins– Be careful with it, use this only if you hair needs protein treatment. If your hair is normal & does not need proteins, it can make your hair dry, brittle & breakable.
Alcohols– Written safe or avoid. They can often dry out your curls & are commonly added in Gels.
The ones in bold are to be avoided if you are strictly following the CG method. I don’t fully, if you want to know why, you can read this post.
- Alkyl Benzene Sulfonate- Harsh Sulphates
- Ammonium Laureth or Lauryl Sulfate – Harsh Sulphate
- Ammonium or Sodium Xylenesulfonate – Harsh Sulphate
- Amodimethicone– Bad Silicones
- Babassuamidopropyl betaine – Mild Surfactant
- Behenoxy Dimethicone – Milder Silicone
- Behenoxy Dimethicone– Bad Silicones
- Behentrimonium methosulfate – Mild Surfactant
- Behenyl alcohol- Safe
- Benzophenone-2, ( or 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) – sunscreen – Safe Silicone
- Bis-aminopropyl dimethicone– Bad Silicones
- C30-50 Alcohols- Safe
- Cetearyl alcohol- Safe
- Cetearyl Methicone – Bad Sillicone
- Cetyl alcohol- Safe
- Cetyl Dimethicone– Bad Silicone
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine – Mild Surfactant
- Coco Betaine – Mild Surfactant
- Cocoamphoacetate – Mild Surfactant
- Cocoamphodipropionate – Mild Surfactant
- Collagen – Protein
- Cyclomethicone- Bad Silicone
- Cyclopentasiloxane- Bad silicone
- Denatured alcohol – Avoid
- Dimethicone – Bad Silicone
- Dimethicone Copolyol – Safe Silicone
- Dimethiconol– Bad Silicone
- Dioctyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate – Harsh Sulphate
- Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate or Cocoamphodipropionate – Mild Surfactant
- Disodium lautreth sulfosuccinate – Mild Cleansers
- Emulsifying Wax- Safe Silicone
- Ethanol- Avoid
- Ethyl PEG-15 Cocamine Sulfate – Harsh Sulphate
- Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein – Protein
- Hydrolyzed Silk Protein- Protein
- Hydrolyzed Soy Protein- Protein
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane– Safe Silicone
- Isocetyl alcohol- Safe
- Isopropanol- Avoid
- Isopropyl alcohol- Avoid
- Isostearyl alcohol- Safe
- Keratin Amino Acids- Protein
- Keratin- Protein
- Lanolin alcohol- Safe
- Lauroamphoacetate – Mild Surfactant
- Lauryl alcohol- Safe
- Lauryl Methicone Copolyol– Safe Silicone
- Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone- Safe Silicone
- Methychloroisothiazolinone – preservative – Safe Silicone
- Mineral oil (paraffinum liquidum) – Avoid
- Myristyl alcohol- Safe
- Natural oils: Avocado oil, Olive oil, Coconut oil, etc.
- PEG-Dimethicone, or any other ‘cone with “PEG-” suffix- Water Soluble Silicon- Safe Silicone
- PEG-Hydrogenated Castor Oil – Safe Silicone
- Petrolatum- Avoid
- Phenyl trimethicone– Bad Silicones
- Propanol- Avoid
- Propyl alcohol- Avoid
- SD alcohol 40- Avoid
- Silk Amino Acids- Protein
- Silk Protein- Protein
- Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate – Harsh Sulphate
- Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate – Mild Surfactant
- Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate – Harsh Sulphate
- Sodium Laureth, Myreth, or Lauryl Sulfate – Harsh Sulphate
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate – Harsh Sulphate
- Sodium Xylenesulfonate- Harsh Sulphates
- Soy Protein- Protein
- Stearoxy Dimethicone– Milder Silicone
- Stearyl alcohol- Safe
- Stearyl Dimethicone– Bad Silicone
- TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate – Harsh Sulphate
- Trimethylsilylamodimethicone – Bad Silicone
- Waxes: bees wax, candelilla wax, etc. – Avoid
- Wheat Amino Acids- Protein
- Wheat Protein- Protein
- Witch hazel- Avoid
Whew! It’s a long list I know. You can always save the ones in bold if you don’t want such a huge list in a note on your phone. Hope this helps. 🙂
If you’re on Instagram, come say hi @Thecuriousjalebi & never miss out on a new post!
You can check out my curly hair video tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5sgj8z9pwU&t=2s
Stay Curly, Stay Happy!